Wildhauser Schafberg

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.22750°N / 9.35211°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7785 ft / 2373 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Final Slopes to the false summit.Looking up at the false summit of Schafberg


The Wildhauser Schafberg, or just Schafberg for short, is a large peak located in the Alpstein above the Toggenburg region of eastern Switerland. It is often skied in the winter. The easiest route is a 4 kilometer long trail that ascends 1000 meters and provides a very short bit of via ferrata near the summit. The route is mostly steep, grassy class 1, with short segments of class 3 at the top. There are also trad routes that ascend the north-east face of the peak, as well as shorter routes in the vicinity of the mountain, rated up to 8- (5.13). The summit provides magnificent views over the Alpstein to the north and west, and the rest of Toggenburg to the south and west. Liechtenstein and Austria are also seen from the top.

Getting There

Getting to the Schafberg is simple. From the town of Wildhaus, head north from the main intersection of town and follow the road for about 1 kilometer until you come to Gamplüt, a small gondola. Park here. If you have the money, pay 15 Swiss franks and ride the gondola up to Gamplüt. If you don't have the money, just hike up the lift line of the gondola. The hike from the bottom to the top of the gondola shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Once at the restaurant at the top of the gondola, head east on the gravel road. In about 200 meters you'll come to a lone sign that simply says "Schafberg" with an arrow pointing to the left. This is the beginning of the trail to the summit.
Down climbingDescending from the false summit in order to obtain the real summit.

Red Tape

The Gamplüt gondola costs 15 Swiss franks for an up and down ticket, for adults. Kids prices are 8 franks. Other than that, no red tape. This is Switzerland...everything's open!

Camping

There are many overnight huts and lodging in the area. Lodges are located in Wildhaus and are plentiful. Overnight huts are located in the mountains, and are also plentiful. There shouldn't be any challenges to find one. Ask around in Wildhaus.

External Links

Ski Tour

A Few pics of trad climbing on the Schafberg

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AlpsteinMountains & Rocks