Wildhorse Ramp

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.75620°N / 114.1376°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble.
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access the Wildhorse Ramp Route from Ketchum Idaho, drive south on Highway 75 seven miles and turn onto East Fork Road at the stoplight. To access from Hailey, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for seven miles and turn onto East Fork Road at the stoplight.

Continue on East Fork Road through the old mining town of Triumph until reaching a fork in the road, shortly after it turns gravel. Take the left fork and continue on this improved dirt road.

Pass the the impressive home on the hillside that is Pni Ranch, (these people graciously keep the road open, they have the option to close it), and drive two more miles to the trailhead. There are a few where the road is a bit rough but any passenger vehicle, including horse trailers can drive through to the end. Take the Hyndman Creek Trail.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage: 11-12
  • Total Elevation Gain:4,800'
  • Class:III

    From the trailhead, cross Hyndman Creek on a new footbridge and head upstream along the creek. The first three miles of the trail are through grassy meadows and evergreen forests. You may choose to either walk, or ride a mountain bike for these first few miles. If you are not an experienced biker, then walk.

    Once the trail reaches the base of Cobb Peak, it turns north and climbs steeply up into a meadow with a winter yurt and seasonal pond at 8,700'. The trail continues up another steep section to a bench at 9,400' where it breaks into the serene Hyndman Basin.

    At this point, leave the trail and climb directly north, aiming for the cirque in between Hyndman Peak's west face and Duncan Ridge.

    Scramble up some solid granite slabs around at 9,800' to break into an amazing meadoow at 10,000'. At 10,400', the grassy meadow will disappear and the climb begins.

    Climb over large, solid boulders, until reaching the absolute crest of the Pioneer Mountains at just over 11,200'. From here, turn northwest and climb the ridgeline until encountering some towers.

    Traverse onto the east face, or above Wildhorse Canyon, and scramble up a ramp the cuts the face at a 45 degree angle. The ramp is slightly broken in two spots but otherwise has good footing for its entire length.

    The ramp will end at Duncan Peak's northeast ridge just below the summit. Climb directly up the small tower on the ridgeline to the summit. This involves exposed class III climbing but the footholds are obvious and the rock is solid.



    Essential Gear


    No special gear is required for climbing Duncan Peak's Wildhorse Ramp Route.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.