Willey's Slide

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18360°N / 71.4219°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: II WI2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From North Conway, go North on 16 to 302. Take 302 into Crawford Notch State Park.

Park on a pull-out on the left (if heading north) just pass Willey Pond and the historic house. The climb should be visable above. Head due west up through the woods, usually on a packed trail. Continue up past the railroad tracks to the base of the climb.

Route Description

Climb the large low angled slab to the top. You can either rope up at the very bottom of the slab or "scramble" up either side for one pitch before you start belayed climbing.

The best line is usually up the center. There is usually one vertical bulge about 10' tall in the center of the route with several smaller bulges. Also there is occasionally an ice cave near the top. The route is four to six pitches (depending on where you start) of great modeerate ice climbing.

Video clip of the lower half of the route.

Descent

Descend down through the woods on either side of the slab.

There is another smaller slab of similar angle on the north side of Willey's slide that is worth a visit (Little Willey's).

Essential Gear

2 ice tools - or it could be climbed with an axe and a tool, or even just an axe if the past of least resistance in chosen.
Crampons
Rope(s)
Standard ice rack
Full winter clothing (you are in the White Mountains here and the weather can be pretty mean, even if the route is moderate).

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.