Wind Cave Trail/Pass Mountain Ridgeline

Wind Cave Trail/Pass Mountain Ridgeline

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.48560°N / 111.5963°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Main page has the directions to Usery Mountain Recreation Area. The trailhead is on the northern point of Wind Cave Dr. Both the Pass Mountain trail and Wind Cave trail start at the same place. You want to take the Wind Cave Trail.

Route Description


Hike up the popular Wind Cave Trail. The distance is 1.5 miles. Once at Wind Cave, pass the crowds and hike north on a hikers trail. The trail heads straight up to the ridgline. Once you have made it to the ridgline the crowds are all behind you. Head north on the ridgeline. The point to the south is not the peak. Soon you will encounter some jags that must be scrambed over. This section takes a little thought and is fun scrambling over the rocks. After this point the ridgeline broadens and is much easier to cross over. Just follow the ridgeline till you get to the peak. There is one major false peak you have to hike over. The Ridgline is aproxamatly 1 mile in length.
Remember to watch where your going at all times, there are cacti everywhere. There are cholla (jumping) cacti along this ridgline.

Essential Gear


This is the Desert, bring sun screen and lots of water. Some sort of pliers or a Leatherman is highly recommended. If you run into a cholla cactus the whole thing can break off and you will need pliers to pull it out to avoid poking your hand.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.