Windmill Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.12400°N / 107.621°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot at 4,800', start hiking southwest up the primitive road as it gradually climbs up towards the entrance to Windmill Canyon. The canyon entrance has some impressive rock outcroppings on either side of it. Continue up the road for about a mile or so until it ends at some water tanks at 5,300'. A faint path begins here.

Start climbing up Windmill Canyon on the faint path. The path fades away as you climb up the canyon, and you will eventually be faced with two choices: you can either head for the 7,200' saddle southeast of Florida Peak, or you can head for the 7,240' saddle between Florida Peak and the North Highpoint.

To climb Florida Peak from the 7,240' saddle, head south towards the peak. Traverse east beneath the north face of the peak, then scramble up the east ridge to the top. For the North Highpoint, climb north up towards the notch between the two spires. The route up to the notch is somewhat steep but not that difficult. The east (right) spire is the highest. Once at the notch, you will see some rocky ledges and cracks on the west side of the east spire. Climb up the ledges and cracks to the summit. The climb involves some easy Class 4 moves, and is a little exposed, but it's not difficult. Some people may want a rope.

Hiking Distance: About five miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,800'.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.