Window Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.03945°N / 122.81466°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Window Gully ascends the last major gully at the left end of the steep south face of Tapie Peak, The climbing is interesting, and the routefinding keeps things exciting.

Getting There

Access the start of this route by following the trail from Boulder Lake toward Poison Canyon. After leaving Boulder Lake, go abour 1/2 mile, then leave the trail and hike/scamble cross-country through talus south of the peak until you near the west end of Tapie's south face. Window Gully follows a shallow gully that leads to a notch between the main summit and a smaller sub-peak to the west.

Route Description

Scramble up broken rock and ledges (class 3-4), following the general line of a not-very distinct gully left of a more prominent rib near the left side of the face. Keep an eye on the rib on your right. Once the climbing gets a lot steeper (and a rope seems desirable), climb up and right through the "window" that gives the route its name. Downclimb through a tunnel to an exposed spot at the top of a much steeper (and more technical) gully on the east side of the rib, then head up easy ledges to the summit. The easiest descent involves a steep hike/scramble down the north side of the peak (class 2). Contour to the right (Don't lose too much elevation too quickly, or you'll make a lot more work for yourself!), then head eastward to reconnect with the Boulder Lake/Poison Canyon trail. 

Essential Gear

No particular climbing gear is necessary, but a rope and a few runners may be helpful if you have kids along.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.