Winter in Cedar Breaks

Winter in Cedar Breaks

Page Type Page Type: Album

Winter in Cedar Breaks

To access Cedar Breaks National Monument in winter season, you must park at the road closures and either skin or snowshoe through the monument. There are no winter services whatsoever. At over 10,000 feet, the rim of the canyon is windy and very cold.

We drove past Brian Head Ski Resort from the west and parked shortly after leaving sight of the resort in a parking lot dug out of the snow off the highway. I was a little surprised that we could drive as far as we could. We skinned from the parking area and covered a lot of the north to east portion of the rim. With the above average snowfall this season in southern Utah, I had grand designs of finding a skiing path into the canyon. However, we were too late in the season and nearly all of the snow had melted near the edge of the rim, making it impossible to access the snow below. I think you'd have to time this one perfectly on a good year to make any actual turns here. I know it's been done, though, so I'm going to return one year to find a way in there.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.