Winter Normal route - N ridge

Winter Normal route - N ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.88480°N / 13.37390°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trail starts, at about 1600 meters, from a bend few kilometers after the village of Filettino (clear indication in-situ) in the direction of a fountain called “Fonte della Moscosa”.

Route Description

The first part of the route through a beautiful wood is easy to find also in winter and it is flat for about 30 minutes. The first part of the route is good for warming the muscles, considered the efforts required by the deep snow that in winter is the normal condition.
From the fountain “Fonte della Moscosa” (1616 m) you must turn on the left and the route begins by ascenting the wood up to 1840 meters (Monte Piano), where a white statue of the Virgin Mary is placed.
The wood in the fog, just...Fog in the wood

Turn right following the easy ridge (North) and overcome the subsequent elevations up to 2103 meters. Here you need to descent for about 50 meters at the base of the Gendarme rock. To overcome this steep snow couloir (about 20 meters) caution is required in winter: crampons, ice-axe and eventually ropes are recommended. From the Gendarme (2150 m) the summit of Monte Viglio is easy to reach.
The GendarmeThe Gendarme

In all, from the base to the top 3:00-4:00 hours are needed, depending on the snow and the weather conditions. From this point of view, must be taken in account that in winter fog, snow and storm could be common conditions so that it is important have a suitable dress and good health and training.

I descented following the same route (2-2,30 hours), avoiding the Gendarme: you can go around the rocks keeping it on your right along an easy traverse. The final part of the wood (pleasant at the beginning during the ascent) is always tiring: in the afternoon the snow is soft and you can be also just a little more tired!

Essential Gear

Winter wears, ice-axe, crampons. A rope is needed in case of not experienced hikers for climbing the Gendarme


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.