Wishbone Ridge East

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53300°N / 111.6805°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow a posted, paved road from the upper end of Tibble Fork Reservoir (Am Fk Cyn) to the NW to Granite Flat CG and TH. In winter, the road is plowed to the reservoir, adding about a mile to your route.
Wishbone Ridge can also be accessed from Dry Fork TH, although it involves additional few miles and 1500 ft elevation gain, and some stretch of eroded, bouldery trail.
The following picture by grandwazoo shows the Granite Flat - Dry Fork divide and the bowl flanked by the two branches of the Wishbone from the slopes Box Elder Peak:

Route Description


Wishbone Rudge is the Southern extention of the West (lower) summit of White Baldy. The East half of the Wishbone is taller but less rugged than a sawtooth granite ridge of the West half (note that the latter can be easily ascended from the East a quarter mile before the two ridges join, which would avoid most of the technical terrain).
You can see the jagged West Wishbone (on the foreground) and the taller, more rounded East Wishbone on the following picture, taken from across the Dry Fork:

To gain the East Wishbone ridge, follow Granite Flat - Dry Fork trail to the North Saddle of Box Elder Peak, then continue on a foot track North until the track leaves the ridge and startes traversing NW to an overlook. Ascend Hill 11,036. One can also cut a bit of mileage by leaving the trail at the end of switchbacks, right before it begins traversing a boulder-strewn bowl at 9,400, and heading straight up.
The ridge past Hill 11,036 has mighty dropoffs on the right. Two gendarmes just before the link-up with the West Wishbone are to be traversed on the left. The terrain eases a bit when the two halves of the Wishbone join together, then turns into class 3 granite scrambling as the ridge begins the final ascent towards the LCC divide. A section of more difficult ridgeline scrambling can be bypassed on a high ledge on the right. In a few minutes, the route joins with the Red Pine approach just short of the spectacular West Summit, and more scrambling over fine granite brings you to the main summit.

Essential Gear


Sturdy footwear suffices

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.