Wright Peak Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.15170°N / 73.9806°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Use the trailhead at ADK LOJ.

Route Description

Blaze- Various
Length- From: Start of Wright Peak Tail 0.4 miles
ADK LOJ 3.1miles
Total 3.5 miles
Ascent from ADK LOJ 2,400 ft. (732 m)
16th highest peak in NY state.

Wright Peak is usually climbed in conjunction with Algonquin.
Start at High Peaks Infromation center at ADK LOJ.
Take the Van Hovenberg Trail
At 1.0 miles a trail will veer Left to Marcy Dam, continue straight on Algonquin Trail.

The grade in the begining is easy with a few steeper pitches.
At 1.4 miles the Whales Tail Notch Ski Trail joins up with Algonquin Trail.
Trail will pass over many small streams and get steeper in this section.
At 2.3 miles trail joins up with old trail from Heart Lake continue straight. (when comming down the trail be careful not to take this trail by mistake, it is not marked and is not used offten, YOU CAN GET LOST.)
After climbing a steep rock step their is a trail to a designated camp site on the left.
At. 2.4 miles their is a beautiful waterfall. you can fill up water bottles here but ALAWAY'S PURIFY YOUR WATER.
Thie are pitches of steepness and flatness between 2.5 and 3.0 miles.
At 3.1 miles turn left on to Wright Peak Trail .
Trail climbs steadly for 0.2 miles untill reaching the timberline.
After timberline grade eases trail is now marked with carins. You reach the summit at 0.4 miles.
Return same way or climb Algonquin and then go down the same way. (See Algonquin page for further trail discription)

Essential Gear

Basic dayhike gear for summer, LOTS OF WATER and and a sweeter for the summit.
For winter, spring and fall.
ropes are not needed but hiking poles/ ice axes and instep crampons might be needed depending on conditions.
Be prepared for ARTIC conditions higher on the mountain at ANY TIME. Also storms roll in fast in those seasons be prepared to spend the night. People have died on the MacIntyre Range.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.