Y Mountain: West Face Route

Y Mountain: West Face Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.25804°N / 111.61491°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Intermediate
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route heads straight up the northern part of the West face of Y Mountain. It's a moderate route and took us about 4h40m to get up to the summit through the snow. It's exciting yet a shorter trip compared to some of the other larger trips in the area. First climbed in the winter. Ice axe and crampons essential for a safe winter summit.

Getting There

This route is on a well known mountain in the Provo area. You can't miss the large white "Y" marking the mountain. There is a small dead end road up by the base of the mountain where you can park and start out. Note: There is only room for about two cars to park Click here to view Trail-Head on map

Route Description

The route starts right past the fence at the end of the street. Head straight up the mountain through the gully. It gets pretty steep fast, then eases up a little bit. Keep heading straight up until you reach the cliff bands about 2/3 of the way up the mountain.This would be a good time to get your crampons on and Ice axe out. When you get to the cliff bands traverse over to the left and head up between two small rock bands. Keep to the left and work your way up through the cliffs and top out on the ridge. There is some pretty steep scrambling over ice and snow and a small yet somewhat exposed step to climb up. (with a sketchy looking drop to the right) After you get to the ridge follow it up all the way to the summit.

To get back down you can either head down the way you came up, or follow the easier trail down the back side of the mountain. For winter conditions where the trail may not be visible: Head down the east side from the summit and then follow the small valley down through several groves of trees. You will most likely find the trail at this point as it is common for winter hiking/snowshoes/cross-country skiing. This trail leads around the mountain and through the valley on the south side. Eventually it emerges on the west face again and descends toward the "Y". From the "Y" you can traverse directly across the mountain and back to the trail-head.

The descent down the back side is recommended for beginners as the west face route is relatively steep and unforgiving on the descent. Make your own judgement as you climb up the west face as to whether you should take that route back down.

WARNING: This part of the mountain is prone to avalanches. Evidence of prior avalanches was found. The route moves among cliffs and steep grade snow and ice. If avalanche or snow conditions prove to be hazardous DO NOT attempt this route. Even a small slough of snow could carry you over one of the cliffs.

Essential Gear

Ice axe, Crampons, trekking poles. (for a winter summit)

External Links

Trail head: http://m.google.com/u/m/ADhY83


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.