You are going to like Camel's Hump.

You are going to like Camel's Hump.

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 16, 2007
Seasons Season: Fall
That's what everybody says, that Camel's Hump is a great mountain. I found myself with a couple of unexpected days off from work in October, and I decided I had to go to Camel's Hump. It was going to be a clear day, and I was hoping the fall colors would still be there. I was happy because I knew I didn't have to rush to go back to work; I could really enjoy myself.


I have really grown to like Vermont. The only mountain I have climbed in Vermont before Camel's Hump was Mt. Mansfield, which I really enjoyed. I have passed through the State many times though on the way to NH. I stay there often overnight before trips to the White Mountains, and I've always liked it. One of my favorite States to drive through is Vermont. The Green Mountains aren't towering, but there's a certain look and feel to them that I like.


I don't know what it is, but Vermont in the early morning is always foggy. Always. Every time I drive there in the morning, there is a thick fog. So when I got up in the morning and started the drive from Brattleboro up towards Waterbury, I wasn't surprised to see the usual fog. The forecasts all said the day was going to be sunny with clear skies. So as I was getting closer and it was still foggy and cloudy, I was a little annoyed.


I arrive at the trailhead for the Monroe Trail, and it's still grey out. I trusted the forecast, and said this has to clear up eventually. I go to sign in at the trail register where I see a funny entry. It said something to the effect that he saw Sasquatch and decided to feed it granola. The granola made Sasquatch have the munchies. Awesome! The Monroe Trail takes you through the forest where the trees were still colorful. If only they had some sun shining on them!


The thing that was really freaky was where the Monroe Trail meets the Long Trail at a clearing. It was like everything instantly changed. When I stepped into the clearing all the trees were white all of a sudden. Just like that, no gradual change. Right back there on the Monroe Trail they were normal. When you entered the clearing it was like it was winter.


It was real cloudy and colder as well. I saw two ladies about to make their push for the top. They were putting on their gloves and hats and extra layers of clothes; I decided to do the same. I was worried that the trail was going to be ice, which I didn't really prepare for, but it wasn't. It was a bit slick though. So I make the summit and you see... nothing. We were in a cloud. Where were the views? Dammit.


a very nice break in the cloudsNice!
atop Camel s Hump trying to get a viewA cloudy shot, but I still like it for some reason
We did get rewarded briefly in parts. Every once in awhile there would be a break in the clouds for a few seconds where you would see this amazing view of the trees way down below in orange. You couldn't really time it for a photo, but it was an amazing sight. The ladies left, and then it was just me.


Now I had to decide if I was just going to wait until it clears up. It was cold, but nothing too crazy. I waited for like 15-20 minutes, and decided to go back down to the clearing. There was a bunch of hikers there now just hanging around. I made the mistake of giving up, and going back down instead of waiting. I knew that eventually it would clear up, yet I left anyway. Why? I had nothing to hurry about. I don't know.


Sure enough as I'm working my way down it starts to get sunny out. The trees started to really look beautiful. Just walking on the trail with all the color was great! I was having a good time without the summit view anyway.


looking up at the trees on the trail
a colorful tree in the sunlight
When I was driving in I noticed a sign that there was a Camel's Hump view trail close by. I decided to check it out. I wanted to see if the mountain was all in the clear now, which I knew it would be. Sure enough there it is, all in the clear. Curses! Ha. ha. No I wasn't really mad, it was just one of those foolish things you do that you have no explanation for. I simply had to wait another 20 minutes in the clearing and I would have seen some outstanding summit views. That's just the way it is I guess.

But yes, I really liked Camel's Hump.


a last look at Camel s Humpfrom view trail
Check out all the photos. Enjoy.


I wrote this TR with some Otter Creek Pale Ale, craft brewed in Vermont.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
tioga

tioga - May 19, 2008 5:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Camel's Hump

Camel's Hump is my favorite mountain in VT. And your trip sounds like my latest climb over Camel's Hump. I was backpacking the Long Trail this summer and when we were on the top we were in a dense cloud. But on the way down you could see the mountain. It was a bummer because it has some of the best views in VT. Thanks for the TR!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Camel's HumpTrip Reports