A.T. (Hawk Mountain Sanctuary)

A.T. (Hawk Mountain Sanctuary)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.61320°N / 75.9117°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike(Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow directions in the "getting there" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route is from the Appalachian Trail just east of Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. The trail crosses the road at 1.6 miles from the sanctuary. The trail steadily climbs as it joins a logging road and then gets a little steeper heading east as you reach the top of Blue Mountain at 2.7 miles. The rest of the route is a nice ridge walk for a very long 2.6 miles through the fern based stands of trees. The trail is up and down for a little bit, but just before you get to the Pinnacle you'll see a huge cairn of stones about fifteen feet high. The huge cliffs and access to class 3 and 4 climbing lie beyond. Make sure to throw a stone onto the pile after you reach the summit which may someday reach Rocky Mountain elevations! Views from the Pinnalce extend to the north, east and south farther than you can imagine. There is plenty of harder climbing on the cliffs below for those seeking a more thrilling experience at the Pinnacle. Fall is an excellent time for this hike with the cool temperatures and foliage of the trees. Great views! The round-trip distance is 10.6 miles with 1,200ft. of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Very comfortable and durable hiking boots, Trekking poles, water/snack and a camera.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.