Alternative Gold Basin Route

Alternative Gold Basin Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.43940°N / 109.2594°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2 scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Burger King in Moab, drive 7.4 miles to a junction with a road called La Sal Loop. Drive up the La Sal Loop road for 12 miles, then take a dirt road on the right going to Geyser Pass. Drive on this for 5.55 miles and take a right onto a smaller dirt road. Follow this another 1.65 miles to the end. A trail heads off from the road here.

Gold Basin, looking east
Mt Tukhunikivatz viewed from...
Looking down on Little Tuk...

Route Description

Stay on the trail that starts at the road, and follow it as it turns east and ascends into Gold Basin. As the trail begins to enter some clearings and the surrounding peaks are visible, you'll be able to see a prominent gouge in the hillside below peak 12048 (Little Tuk) that goes all the way down to the boulderfield. Scramble up this gouge to gain the steep meadow slopes above, and keep hiking slightly to the right until the ridgeline is gained. This route is nicer than the first variation when snow isn't present since the ground is much more stable due to the soil that is present between the smaller rocks.

A topo map showing both...


Looking down the alternative...
The  Alternative Route  up pk...
The alternative route up...
Looking down the alternative...
The summit of Little Tuk seen...

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots, camera, food, plenty of water (no places to refill on the route!). An ice axe and crampons can be helpful for walking on the snow, which is often desireable when it is present.

Tukhunikivatz as seen from...
Tukhunikivatz as seen from...
Behold! The summit cairn that...
Behold! The summit cairn that...

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.