Bates Canyon Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.61337°N / 112.18689°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hard
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bates Canyon in Tooele County has a good trail that gets you very close to the summit. The trail ends in the Canyon but leaves you with just a steep climb up to the ridge and summit. 

Getting There

Coming from Salt Lake take I-80 into Tooele County. Exit onto Highway 36 at Lakepoint and head south past Stansbury Park until you reach Bates Canyon Road. Take Bates Canyon Road East for a mile and a half. You will cross over some railroad tracks and see a large silo to the North. The road hits a gate at this point. Open the gate and cross through making sure to close the gate behind you. From here you will need a vehicle with good clearance but not neccessarily four wheel drive in dry conditions. There are several dirt roads that lead to the trailhead. The roads that veer to the north seem to be in the best condition, but every road still is pretty rough in parts. You may have to pass through additional cattle gates, just make sure to close them behind you. The trailhead is at 40°37'24.6"N 112°14'30.4"W. There is a fence here marking the border of the BLM managed land with a small gate to access the trail leading up Bates Canyon. 

Route Description

From the BLM gate at the mouth of the canyon follow the trail up the canyon. The trail is an old road so it is not too steep and well established. After three miles you will find the old hunters village with a few decomposing cabins. The trail begins to fade at around three and a half miles as the canyon starts to end and steepens. From here just start heading up the north slope of the canyon, alternatively you can jump on a ridge prior to gettting to this point. If you do stay in the canyon make sure you end up on the north side of the cliff bands surrounding the peak, they wrap around the south side of the summit as well. Once you have made it to the ridge it is an easier hike to the summit. 

Essential Gear

Snowshoes will be needed in winter months. The bottom of the canyon gets very hot during the summer and is exposed.

External Links 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.