Beautiful, but cold weather

Beautiful, but cold weather

Kessler on the route to Janet's Cabin (elevation 11,630 feet) on November 25(Thanksgiving) 2010. We were going to wait until Friday to make another attempt to climb to Janet’s Cabin, but Thanksgiving morning was so clear, calm and beautiful that Kessler and I changed our minds (Shaylee and Kim decided to stay behind). It was -18F (-28C) in the morning, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the wind was calm. We actually sweated breaking trail up the mountain and I had to take off my down coat and fleece jacket and a long underwear shirt plus a light wool shirt were more than adequate. It was very hard breaking trail, but we got some help from a couple skiers half way. I arrived at the hut well after dark, but Kessler beat me by 30 minutes and was on the tail of the skiers. The sunset was gorgeous, but we were in too big of a hurry to take photos. Thanksgiving was a very hard day, but the weather was actually good and even above 11,000 feet, the temperature probably reached 0F (-18C), which is actually quite pleasant if it isn't too windy. The hut was supposed to be booked to capacity (20 people), but four others including us made it. See the 2010 Trip Log for details.
Scott
on Nov 27, 2010 10:40 pm
Image ID: 681500

Comments

No comments posted yet.