Belagua

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.94134°N / 0.91049°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Valley of Belagua, Navarra (Spanish route)
Trailhead: Venta de Juan Pito (1150m).
Slope to gain: 750m.
Time: 2h10min (total 4h)

Alternative trailhead: Dolmen de Arrako (in the road of Belagua).
Slope to gain: 980m
Time: 2h 35m.
Alternative descent of this route: ridge Keleta-collado Lapatia.

Location: road NA137 Isaba-Arette, to col of Piedra de San Martin (frontier France-Spain) 1 km before the refuge of Belagua



Alternative trailhead: the dolmen is signalled before the road of ascent in NA137

Route Description

LakartxelaCol of Arrakogoiti
Keleta & KartxelaLakartxela E face


If we begin in Dolmende Arrako we follow th paint red and blue of camino real to ascent to Venta de Juan Pito in less of 20 minutes.

Venta de Juan Pito (1150m):
We'll take a path with white-yellow paint in the parking of the Venta across the forest. After the river we'll follow the forest to a grassy hill. We'll cross a new little river to left side searching some stakes of wood with the paint of PR (pequeño recorrido, "little itinerary") and following a visible path we'll reach two little hills to arrive in north direction to the wide col of Arrakogoiti (1400m), important col between the two ridges Lakartxela-Bimbalet (west, left) and Cortaplana-Lakora (east, right). This col is called Urdaite in Zuberoa (France) and it's the frontier of the country.
We'll take in west direction to the bottom of the peak Bimbalet(1752m) to a little col (Col of Bimbalet, 1700m). If you want you can climb as well this mountain in 15 minutes. This mountain is completely in France and have an interesting view over the french valleys.
Following in south-west direction we'll reach the last rocky meters to the summit of Kartxela (1982m).
In 15 minutes, after a descent, we'll can to reach the last summit of the ridge, the Keleta (1902m) with great view over the valley of Belagua.

Essential Gear

Nothing special. Water in summer.
In winter when the snow covers the mountain it's neccesary the use of crampons and ice-axe but after a recent snowfall it's not advisable the climb (exposed pass from col of Arrakogoiti).

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KartxelaRoutes