Black Mountain

Black Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Album
Black Mountain is located on the east side of Interstate 5, just north of Yreka. I approached this one from the Hornbrook exit on I-5. I drove east for a short distance until I could cross the Klamath River and then turned west between the river and Black Mountain. I found a road system that looks like a subdivision rising up the north side of the mountain. There didn't appear to be any residences on these roads, so I kept going up until I reached the limit of the roads on Robin Street.

From there I headed cross country directly towards the summit. I had to jump a barbed wire fence and then I hit some steep logging roads that I used to gain more elevation. Eventually, I ran out of help and just headed directly towards the summit. There was some areas of brush that I skirted, but eventually I reached the flat summit area. At one time there were some comm buildings on the summit, but now there is just left over junk. I found the highpoint to be a pile of rocks under some trees. I returned to my truck by the same route. Since it was February when I climbed Black Mountain, there were some patches of snow on the route and the summit.

This was a steep climb. Total was only 3 miles round trip, took 3 hours, and gained a little over 2,000 ft. 2/19/2005

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.