Box Elder Trail (044)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.49000°N / 111.696°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep sections, some scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route takes the hiker south of Box Elder Peak and to a saddle on the peak's south side. There is no distinct trail from this saddle to the summit.

Distance to summit: approximately 3.5 miles
Elevation gain: @4,300'

Special features: nice forests of aspen and pines at lower elevations.

Caution: this route is quite steep in many sections. It is not dangerous, however.

Getting There

Follow directions on the earlier Getting There section to the Granite Flat Campground.

Route Description

Begin at the TH at the north end of the Granite Flat Campground, area C. Several wooden signs identify the trail as Box Elder 044. Climb through an open meadow, ascend numerous switchbacks in a generally westerly direction and pass a fallen log cabin structure (the 2-mile point). Another sign points to the right for White Canyon; take the left fork. Descend into Wide Hollow and ascend the drainage west to arrive at a grassy saddle. The summit of Box Elder Peak looms 1,000' above you to the north. Climb as much on the ridge leading to the summit as possible; stay on the west side of ledges and look for game trails. Distance to the summit from the TH is about 3.5 miles. Elevation gain @4,300'.

Essential Gear

No special gear is needed in the summer. Late fall hiking means mud and muck on shady sections, sometimes ice or snow.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
vanman798

vanman798 - Jun 22, 2008 1:12 am - Voted 10/10

Sleigh Runner

In the spring, a great way to climb Box Elder is via the Sleigh Runner. The Sleigh Runner can be seen in this picture. Simply follow the directions as outlined for Trail 44, and when you reach the ridge after climbing Wide Hollow, you will see the Sleigh Runner. Walk to it and ascend. The Sleigh Runner is located on the SW aspect of the mountain. Here is an article about the Sleigh Runner.

jun32

jun32 - Oct 2, 2013 10:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Route is WRONG

The route description listed above is for Box Elder South Peak, not the true summit of Box Elder. We followed these directions exactly and thought we were on the true summit. We found out after uploading our GPS and saw that we were actually on the south peak. The actual peak is almost 13 miles round trip and significantly farther to the north. You have to pass by the south peak before even getting to the north peak. A potentially quicker way would be to take one of the other trails.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.