Burger Pass Trail / Northwest Ridge

Burger Pass Trail / Northwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.15610°N / 117.5089°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 - 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the trailhead, hike along an abandoned forest road for about 100 yards till you come to yet another forest road. Turn left onto that onto that one. Sullivan's directions seem a bit mixed up at this point (most likely due to repeated re-routing through the clearcut area). Hike the forest road for approximately 0.5 mile as it crosses a 10-year old clearcut section of forest (first views of China Cap and Burger Butte can be had here on a clear day). Just past the clearcut turn right (uphill) at a signed junction. Stay on the trail (looks like an overgrown forest road) for another 0.5 mile or so till you come to another junction (also signed) at the edge of yet another clearcut area. Turn left (uphill) here. This is a perimeter road that skirts the edge of the clearcut area for about 0.25 miles before entering the forest. The road eventually becomes a trail (you pass a single long switchback followed by a hike along a slope with decent views NW) and at about 3 miles from trailhead (before the trail reaches Burger Pass) you come to a junction (unsigned and not THAT obvious). Make a sharp left onto China Ridge Trail (will look up name) trail here. The trail skirts the south eastern slopes of China Cap. Resist the temptation to hike directly up the rocky and grassy slopes (or go for it if you want more of a work out). Stay on the trail instead as it reaches a high pass on China Cap's NW ridge in about 0.75 miles from the junction.

Route Description


From the pass, leave the trail here and hike up the NW ridge of China Cap. There's a faint climbers' trail part of the way but don't waste time trying to find it - just climb the ridge. There are steep drop offs on the left side (north side). As you get higher, stay on the right side below the ridge. At some point (use your judgement), turn uphill and regain the ridge crest. If you do this too early, you'll have to cross some class 2+ rock on the summit ridge before the top. Look for a summit register in an old ammo box.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots and a map might be useful. Wallowas weather can be quite alpine - be prepared for bad weather.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

China CapRoutes