Carruthers Peak

Carruthers Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.41004°S / 148.28947°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Additional Information Elevation: 7037 ft / 2145 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carruthers Peak is the seventh highest peak in Australia. It lies on the main range track and is one of the most visited peaks behind Kosciuszko. The summit itself is a narrow ridgeline with the western faces to the north and club lake, one of mainland Australia's only glacial lakes to the south. It is snow covered from late may to early november in most years.

In summer many summit it while completing the main range track. it is the only mountain that is climbed when following the built track, with Kosciusko a popular detour. From the summit there are views of the main range , the western faces and the Sentinel and Watsons Crags which are the most serious mountain terrain in mainland Australia. There is some rock climbing and scrambling on the southern face over club lake, acessed from the main track or up the valley from Charlottes Pass. The climbing is mostly in the low tens, on compact quartzite.

The Carruthers Peak South face

In Winter Carrruthers peak is far harder to reach, as the road to charlottes pass is closed. There is good skiing on its southern face, most notably in the elevator chute, which is one of Australia's most well known ski descents. The north face has wider gullies and is steeper and taller. There is technical alpine climbing of on the south face, and on the north face's ridges up to 400 m in length. There is also more gentle skiing down towards windover Knoll, a sub peak to the west, which is very scenic but also exposed. There are some ice flows on the south face when conditions are in, but the alpine mixed climbing on the butresses is more significant and challenging. Carruthers peak's north ridge is also arguably the easiest access down to Lady Northcotes Canyon and the Opera House Hut.

The Carruthers Peak North Face

 

Getting There

From Jindabyne head west past the turn off to alpine way. Continue through the park entrance and stay on Kosciousko road past a few ski resorts. Park before the locked gate which leads to rawsons pass (this can fill up on sunny windless days) and start on the right leaning track that heads towards the snowy river.

When the Kosciusko road is closed in winter, head into park as normal but turn left at Guthega sign. from here drive up valley to ski resort, and park either at Illawong Trailhead or in the parking area in front of Guthega Inn.

Route

From the start of the main range track, cross snowy river and follow track up other side of valley. This climbs the crummer spur, which leads directly to the Carruthers peak summit, and makes for a more direct route, and a good option in stable weather. The main range track then crosses a small creek which drains off carruthers' summit. Then the track climbs up to a junction with the blue lake track (worthwhile detour). take the left fork towards Carruthers summit. After passing a faint junction at a pass with views of The Sentinel, the track has a few switchbacks before reaching the summit. From here continue along the rest of the main range track (takes about a day all up) or return the way you came. At the summit  the best views are found by walking a couple meters in any direction from the track with views over the western faces, including the Sentinel and Watsons Crags. from the top of the south face there are great views of club lake and the Kosciousko Plateau.

In winter when the road is closed, Carruthers Peak is a much more significant undertaking. start at  the illawong track trackhead and follow the Illawong track/ skintrack depending on snow conditions. Passing the hut and bridge, head up the valley to the base of the crummer spur and climb it to the summit/main range. Anyone attempting this should have a good ability with navigating off track and on snow in whiteout conditions. Avalanche risk on this route is very limited however steep skiers and alpine climbers should posses avalanche knowledge and skills as there are several areas of high avalanche danger on the south and northern faces. Carruthers is often skiied in the spring season once the road reopens due to its remotness.

Red Tape

All vehicles need a parks pass puchased at the park entance or the Jindabyne visitor centre. It can cost anywhere fron $16-$22 depending on season. Wild camping is free but all waste must be carried out and fuel stoves only.

When to Climb

For most carruthers is best climbed as part of a larger trip in summer. While the track is snow free from christmas, the most stable weather is to be had in Febuary, however the flies are the worst at this period as well. Easter has less stable weather but can have good conditions for hiking.

From June onwards the mountain is Skiiable. Skis and snowshoes are necessary for a winter ascent bar unusal snow conditions or very early in the season.The ski season spans from June to October and alpine climbing is possible from June to August.  In october the Charlotte pass road opens, enabling touring on the high peaks, with relativley stable weather.

Camping

There are a few suitable campsites just after the summit on the main range track, however they are very exposed to the westerlies that deliver some of the most severe winds anywhere. there are some more sheltered sites down by the snowy river approximatley 200m south of charlotte pass crossing, near an old ruin. These provide a good base for hiking around the area. There is Car camping available at paid sites near sawpit creek, these need to be booked online. For all camping above the treeline waste must be carried out.

External Links

PLB Hire : https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/bushwalking-safety/personal-locator-beacon 

Main Range track offical page :https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/walking-tracks/main-range-walking-track 

Detailed notes on track : http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/kosciuszko-np-south/main-range-walk-charlotte-pass-to-mount-kosciuszko.html 

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Main RangeMountains & Rocks