Cayuse Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.20410°N / 113.8°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk up
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Cayuse Canyon's entrance is right near Horseheaven Pass. Coming from Doublespring Pass Road, follow the signed entrance to Horseheaven Pass. This road is a two-track, but not too rough and not much clearance is required to arrive at Horseheaven Pass four miles down the road. The hardest part of this road may be the cattleguards. After arriving at Horseheaven Pass, another two-track will be visible down a short hill and on the right. Follow this until your car won't let you. We parked at a water trough at the Canyon entrance. Google maps driving directions to Horseheaven Pass from Mackay.

Route Description


From the trailhead, follow Cayuse Canyon up and to the right. Below the obviously slabbed point 10,003 that dominates the canyon view, the canyon forks. Stay right (north) and follow the canyon below the serrated north ridge of Peak 10,878. Head for the 10,400 saddle between Doublespring Peak and Peak 10,878. From the saddle, head up the ridge to the summit. This is Class 2, but it is on steep, rough and rocky terrain.

Elevation gain: 3600 feet.
Distance (one-way): 3.5 miles.

Essential Gear


Day hiking gear and water.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.