Cerro Azulcocha

Cerro Azulcocha

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 10.29012°S / 76.85754°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 16240 ft / 4950 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro Azulcocha is a marvelous viewpoint on the eastern side of Siula Grande, Nevado Yerupaja and many other giants of Cordillera Huayhuash

Getting There

This mountain can be accessed easily during the 10 to 14 days trekking around Cordillera Huayhuash. A perfect map for this trekking trip is the excellent map 0/3c Alpenvereinskarte Cordillera Huayhuash of the Austrian Alpine Club (scale 1:50,000).

Route

Cerro Azulcocha is about 500 meters air distance southwest of the 4830 meters high col Siula Punta (GPS coordinates: S10.28757 W76.85563), which is traversed on the Huayhuash trekking.
 
Resting on Siula Punta
Resting on Siula Punta

Follow the ridge over some rocks to the peak. Some easy scrambling is required (grade II)

Cerro Azulcocha seen from Siula Punta
Cerro Azulcocha seen from Siula Punta
The views from the summit are stunning (despite some clouds in the higher mountains)

Summit of Cerro Azulcocha with view to Northeast
Summit of Cerro Azulcocha with view to Northeast

View to Southeast with Laguna Quesillococha and Cordillera Raura
View to Southeast with Laguna Quesillococha and Cordillera Raura


Red Tape

The fees on the Huayhuash trekking are expensive now. We paid more than 200 Soles (approximately 70U$) per person for camping and community access in the year 2013!

When to Climb

Best season is May to September. We met just 4 other tourists end of September!

Camping

If you do the trekking clockwise Incahuain is the starting point in the morning (GPS coordinates: S10.24090 W76.86196) and the camp Huayhuash is the final point for this day (GPS coordinates: S10.32842 W76.84306).  The path from Incahuain to Siual Punta is relatively steep, thus clockwise trekking is recommended. Mules must go another way via the col Punta Carnicero.

External Links

For more information about the Huayhuash trek see the specific Huayhuash section of SummitPost or the trip report of Cordillera Huayhuash on our webpage including some waypoints and other pictures. Other mountains and trips in South America are described on our webpage www.marionandalfred.de.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cordillera HuayhuashMountains & Rocks