Chounis ravine-Mpafi refuge-Mola

Chounis ravine-Mpafi refuge-Mola

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.20689°N / 23.75519°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Chounis ravine is one of the most classical routes in Mt Parnitha.Chouni is one of the deepest and most distinctive ravines in Mt.Parnitha and there is a clear and wide path that crosses it,near the dry bank at the most part of the route.One can start the route either from the highest houses in Thrakomakedones suburb(510m) or from the cable car parking(480m).In the second occasion the route is 15 minutes longer.The route passes through Mpafi refuge(1160m),after that reaches Lukoporia ridge(1290m),the ridge that divides Karavola and Ornio peaks and finally descents to the chapel of st.Petros and the valley of Mola(1020m) NE from the highest peaks.It is a route without technical points,but quite demanding due to its elevation gain.The route ascents 800m and finally descents 270m,without calculating some small ups and downs in Chounis ravine.The route takes 4 hours approximately to be hiked and offers nice views in most of its parts.Drinkable water can be found in the beginning of the route,in Mpafi refuge and in the end there are few springs near Mola.

Getting There


Route Description

Ornio peak under heavy snow
View from Mpafi refuge to Chouni ravine full of snow
We start from the cable car parking and we head to N direction and a little later after passing below the cable car to E,NE direction in a narrow gravel road that ascents slightly.After 5 minutes the road turns into a wide path,that traverses the slopes in a thick pine forest.10 minutes later we find theother branch of the path that ascents from Thrakomakedones and the 2 paths connect.We enter Chounis ravine and the path ascents steeper under Flambouri rockfaces.20 minutes later we cross the dry bank and a steep ascents begin until the path becomes horizontal for a little bit.We are on the right side of Chounis bank and the path descents 20m and crosses the bank again(a small stream maybe flows in Chouni,in March after fast snow melting).now the path ascents in the steep slopes in the left side of Chouni,having lots of zig-zags.5 minutes later we have for first time view of the highest peaks and we enter gradually the fir-trees forest.5 minutes later,there is a crossing of the paths with a sign.Right the path leads to Flambouri refuge after crossing Chouni bank and ascenting the opposite slopes.We continue in the path in front of us and after a 15 minute ascents the path starts traversing and slightly losing altitute in a nice forest.After crossing again a dry bank deep in Chouni ravine a steep zig-zag begins below the fir trees.At the end of the steep ascent we meet a wide path coming from the ending point of the cable car and we turn right.The path traverses and 5 minutes later we see Mpafi refuge very close to us,in our right hand.The path after making a big u-turn and some zig-zags leads us there 15 minutes later. After Mpafi refuge we lead to the parking area 2 minutes from the refuge and ascent the gravel road for 200m until we reach the central asphalt road that reaches the radiator in Ornio peak.We turn right in the central road and 150m later we find the path on our left hand and we leave the road.The path now ascents diagonically the SW slopes of Ornio peak for half an hour until we reach Lukoporia ridge(1290m).Here we find the asphalt road again and there is a chapel in our right hand.We cross the ashalt,and follow the path,which starts descending in a thick and beautiful fir forest.Here the path is not very clear because there are some fallen fir trees.After a 20 minute descent we reach a cross with a sign.Here is the central path Mola-Skipizaand we turn right here following the sign to Mola.The path traverses the next 5 minutes but later it has a left bend and now descents quite a lot in a gorgeous forest.We pass a spring a 40 metres later we reach an asphalt,just next to st.Peter chapel.We cross the road descent a little,the forest ends and we enter a large valley full of grass,flowers and places for picnic(Mola)

Essential Gear

A good pair of trekking shoes and comfortable clothing.A map could be useful.A pair of gaiters and semi-rigid boots are necessary in Winter,to cut steps if the snow isn't soft.A pair of mpatons,I think are necessary because the route has a big vertical gain,and descent in the end.Also a bottle of water due to its steep ascent,especially if it is summer.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ParnithaRoutes