Classical Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.30500°N / 19.46400°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, T3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


ACCESS: 12 km on the road from Plav to Gusinje, and than 7 km more to Dom Grbaja (Grbaja Hut, 1160 m) in Grbaja Valley. Near Grbaja Hut is beginning of marked route for Volusnica climbing.

Grbaja Valley from Dolja Valley Grbaja Hut & Volusnica in Grbaja Valley

Route Description


Classical route: Dom Grbaja (Grbaja Hut, 1160 m) - Volusnica katun (1680 m)(T3) 1h - Volusnica (1879 m)(T3) 45 min: 1.45h - 2h

Height difference: 719 m
Duration: 2h
Trail: Marked

DESCRIPTION: The marked trail starts at the "Dom Grbaja" (1160 m, Grbaja Hut), near the military watchtower and then through a beech wood to the plateau and Volusnica Katun (1680 m)(shepherd hut). It is a glacial cirque and the katun is rich with water. The Volusnica Brook is formed from melting snow and a waterfall, and flows to Grbaja Valley. From Volusnica katun follow the markers to the highest peak of Volusnica, then southward, along the grassy and rocky slope, to the upper part of the Volusnica cirque, and than to the summit of Volusnica (1879 m) peak. The eastern rocky face of Volusnica descends steeply to one of the four meadows of Grbaja Valley and is a considerable climbing challenge for mountaineers.

Volusnica tour Volusnica climbing Volusnica summit

Essential Gear


Usual equipment. If the snow is hard and frozen, crampons are recommended, ice axe also. But, don't worry, this route is not dangerous. Tipical hiking tour without using of hands.

Volusnica summit view

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

VolusnicaRoutes