Viewing: 1-8 of 8
ywardhorner

ywardhorner - Nov 30, 2012 5:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow . . .

What a great trip and beautiful photos. You put a lot of work into this report and it's a very good read! I was in Peru for the first time this past spring but only around Huaraz and in the Blanca. Amazing place, can't wait to go back!

rgg

rgg - Dec 1, 2012 7:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow . . .

Thanks. I know what you mean, I want to go back to Peru too!

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 1, 2012 2:28 am - Voted 10/10

Another good one...

...and some interesting mountains. I shall look forward to Part III!
best wishes, Mark

rgg

rgg - Dec 1, 2012 7:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another good one...

Thanks, Mark. These mountains are all easy, and lack of acclimatization is the main reason people don't make it to the top. But easy or not, the views are great!

albanberg

albanberg - Dec 6, 2012 4:53 pm - Hasn't voted

very nice...

and nice photos too!

rgg

rgg - Dec 7, 2012 6:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: very nice...

Thanks. Cheers, Rob

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Nov 30, 2013 4:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Back in Peru

Hi Rob, I am finally getting around to reading about the rest of your trip! I am back in Peru for a month, but don't plan on climbing any big mountains. I did do a nice hike from Oyolo, Ayacucho, to Charcana, Arequipa, topping out at about 16,000 feet. I am in Arequipa now, visiting with friends, and looking at rather ugly views of Chachani and Misti, almost no snow on them now. I enjoyed your report here, glad you made the wise decision to turn back. Some friends of mine climbed it a while back and there was a serious avalanche, I think there was 1 death, and they were involved in the rescue of some others.
Thanks for the great report. Vic

rgg

rgg - Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Back in Peru

Hi Vic,

Glad you liked the report, and there is a whole lot more to read for you.

Occasionally I do something in the mountains that I shouldn't, but not all to often knowingly. This time the possibility of triggering an avalanche was pretty clear. I mean, I couldn't say how likely it was if we had continued, but it would have been a gamble. And that doesn't fit my goal to become an old mountaineer (though my friend Mark keeps saying that I'm old already ;-)).

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Climbing volcanoes, exploring the unknown and a whole lot of snow - Four months in Peru, part II' main page