Dublin Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.86130°N / 72.1083°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To reach the Dublin Trail turn South off of Hwy 101 at Lake St (at the East End of Dublin Lake). Follow Lake Street until you reach the Dublin Lake Club Golf Course. Turn left at Old Troy Rd, a gravel road to the south of the course. The large, wooden trailhead sign will be on your left, between 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 miles down Old Troy. There is a small pull-off area for parking directly across from the trail head.


*NOTE* The trailhead will be changing in Spring of 2007. A new parking area is being created approximately .3 miles west of the original trailhead. The old trailhead and route is being closed "as it is in a current forest management area with active logging".

 

Route Description

The realtively straight Dublin Trail begins at roughly 1450 feet, climbing 1700 feet over 2.2 miles to the summit of Mount Monadnock. The trail is typically less crowded than the more popular trails starting at the Monadnock State Park Headquarters and campgrounds, however the Pumpelly & Marlboro Trails typically are where hikers will have the most solitude.

The obvious and well marked trail begins as a wide route heading south-southwest. The trail slowly gains elevation over the first 1/4 mile taking hikers through heavy forest, comprised of spruce and maple. At approximately the 1/4 mile point the trail changes direction slightly and begins to head south-southeast.

As the trail changes directions, its ascent becomes slightly steeper and more narrow. The path also becomes strewn with rocks and roots, typical of hikes on New Hampshire mountains. The route continues to climb gradually until you reach the 1.1 mile mark, where the grade becomes much steeper, gaining close to 1000 feet over the next mile.

As the trail climbs, the forest begins to thin, and birch and scrub trees become more apparent. Some slight scrambling/ large steps over large boulders and rock ledges are required as the trail continues south-southeast. At 1.7 miles the woods trail reahces treeline and the forest is replaced by bare rock.

Along the bare rock ledges hikers are greated by views of Pack Monadnock and the Dublin Ridge (where the Pumpelly Trail traverses to Monadnock's Summit) to the east, Mount Kearsage and Dublin Lake to the north, and the Uncanoonucs along the north-east horizon. In front of you is what appears to be the summit of Monandnock - however this is Dublin Peak, a false summit.

With a half mile to go the trail continues to climb moderately. If you are climbing in August you may find bluberries to snack on, and muddy puddles from an unreliable spring along the trail.

As you travel beyond the false summit, the Marlboro Trail joins the Dublin trail from the west marking the easy ascent to the summit, with 1/8 mile and 165 feet more in elevation gain.

To return to the trail from the bare summit head north, towards the large "knob" that is Dublin Peak, picking up the obvious trail to return to the trailhead.

 

Essential Gear

None except for appropriate clothes, boots, food, and water for the season.

During early fall the rock ledges may remain covered in an ice-glaze even though the temperature below is well above freezing making travel difficult - but not impossible.

 

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
nartreb

nartreb - Apr 5, 2007 12:25 pm - Voted 9/10

trail being relocated

http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/GilsonPondCampground/DublinTrailRelocationNotice.html "new Dublin Trail parking area and trailhead ... The traditional trail route for the beginning 0.6 miles from the Old Troy Road will be relocated approximately 0.3 miles further west of the old trailhead. This relocation is anticipated to be completed for the spring of 2007, with a subsequent closure of the old trail route. "

Flanders

Flanders - Apr 10, 2007 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: trail being relocated

Thanks - I noted this in the Getting there section.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.