Duet

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.65580°N / 118.8656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Techncal Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS 5.8+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the parking area hike west up the steep forested hill. There is a use trail heading up roughly 50 yds. from the end of the pavement. The top of the hill known as "Camp Ridge" is about 500' elevation gain from the road. When you reach the ridge, Chimney Spire will be visible. Hike down the trail to the notch between Chimney Spire and Chimney Rock. The approach takes about 20-30 minutes from the car. Duet is the obvious right facing dihedral on the South East face.

Route Description




Pitch 1: Climb the right facing dihedral to the big ledge. (5.8+).
Pitch 2: From the ledge tunnel through behind the large block/flake and up the chimney, then face climb to the bolted belay. (5.6)
Pitch 3: Climb up to the bolted belay on the summit (5.6,20').

Decent: From the summit, rap 20' to the bolted anchor then rap approx. 100' to the next bolted anchor, then one more 80' rap to the ground. It is possible to do one rappel to the ground from the top of the second pitch with two 60 meter ropes but it will be very difficult to pull the ropes down.

Essential Gear


Standard rack.
Cams to 4"
1 set nuts

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.