East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.45890°N / 105.9375°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep scramble on semi-loose talus
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Round Trip=11 miles
Vertical Gain=3,300-ft.
Round trip from Georgia Pass=2 miles and 1,800-ft.

The starting point for a winter ascent of Mount Guyot will vary depending on the conditions of the Georgia Pass Road, however you can drive all the way to the pass in the summer months. Without ever actually seeing the road because of snow, books I have recommend a high clearance vehicle. Starting somewhere on the Georgia Pass Road, follow this road to Georgia Pass at 11,585-ft.

Route Description


The east ridge is obvious from the pass. Start the1,800-ft ascent up this broad ridge by locating a miner’s trail at the base of the climb. The ridge is considerably steep and consists of semi loose talus. After about 1,300-ft the ridge will begin to narrow to a more defined and proper look, however the ridge will begin to slightly bend to the north as well. Stay as close to the crest of the ridge as possible for the last 100 feet of ridge is bookended by steep drop-offs on both sides.

An ascent up the southeast ridge and a descent of the east ridge would work really well for a loop route and vise versa.

For more on an ascent up the east ridge in the winter please read the Route section on the main page.

Essential Gear


An ice axe is highly recommended for a winter ascent.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.