End of Conn's East. U.C....

End of Conn's East. U.C....

End of Conn's East. U.C. Mountaineering Summer of 86 Help Waldo find the stopper-not deep enuf. Note the EB climbing shoes Looking south toward High Test.
desainme
on Jul 15, 2003 6:58 pm
Image ID: 23078

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Jerry L

Jerry L - Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am - Voted 10/10

1 star / 4 stars

I balanced the voting for you. I may be up there in the next several weeks. Later.

desainme

desainme - Jul 16, 2003 4:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 1 star / 4 stars

Thanks-the dog shot at hawksbill has the effect of clouds lapping on the mountains and surf on the shore.

JScoles

JScoles - Jul 16, 2003 4:54 am - Hasn't voted

Goldline?

Is that goldline 11mm you are using in the photo?

desainme

desainme - Jul 16, 2003 9:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Goldline?

Yep, but as one of the sayings that the website wags have per page change state- America hasn't any use for soccer or the metric system- so this line was 7/16 of an inch by 150 feet before stretch. After a moment of arithmetic anxiety i groped for my hp caclulator and added7/6 in+0mm which cleverly yields 11.1125mm

JScoles

JScoles - Jul 18, 2003 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Goldline?

Still have one of those at home.



I haul it out once a year at our club's beginners day just to show them that yes we did lead climb on such a thing.



It was always an interesting experience rapping on Gold-line On a new rope you had to use a double carabineer break rappel but only a single on an old rope that had good "fur".



I usually had a 5 foot mark at the end of my rope as well as a half-way mark. Why a 5 foot mark? Gold-line would stretch a good 10 to 15 feet on a rap and a few time I lost my rope watching it spring above my head as I unhooked the rap system. The 5 foot mark let me know it was time to stop raping.



What was even more funny was watching a newbie trying to jumar up it taking about 3 to 5 steps without going anywhere then suddenly being sprung up and into the air.



I would run into types that said the more “fur” the better and others who though their ropes away as soon as they go some “fur” on them.



Which type were you?



desainme

desainme - Jul 18, 2003 2:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Goldline?

Hi,

I still have mine at home. It was kinda stiff to coil and of course out of date at the time of use. But hey it was $45 for 150' at REI so I went for it in 1979. It was useful for top roping at Clifton Gorge[was very nice and friendly because you could claim a climb and then walk up and down the gorge and get rides on your friends lines] in Yellow Springs Ohio (limestone) . I took it to Seneca a couple of times but it never got high use. The ends got kinda furry because of the top roping- and did use the 2by 2 carabiner and 2 more to attach to myself for rappels.

It was used it once at Chick Hill in Maine and dragged up to the North Basin Wall on Katahdin-that was work . But mostly my friends had the kernmantle ropes which ran better so it was not too harrowing. Latter I started to use an 8 for rappeling but am not sure it improved the rope characteristics.

grandwazoo

grandwazoo - Dec 31, 2003 11:41 pm - Hasn't voted

No use for soccer?

Damn! I have to defend Soccer.... NY state champs in the early eighties.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7