Eye of the Sandias Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.07790°N / 106.4646°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 2.2 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 5960'
Summit Elevation - 7420'
Gain - 1460'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Pt 7420 main page.

Route Description

From the trailhead begin by heading due east up the main trail, following the orange "U-mound access" signs. This trail will follow a few switchbacks up the south side of U-Mound. Once you reach the top of the switchbacks there will be a number of trails. Head uphill towards the powerlines.
PowerlinesThe powerlines where you leave the U-Mound Access trail
Through the HillsMeandering through the hills: this is typical of much of the middle portion of the hike


At first it is just a loose rocky slope but shortly you will see a defined trail. This is the steepest portion of the climb. The trail will climb up next to a drainage and start to wrap around the hill. Along the way you'll pass many small rocky outcroppings, some of which have trails to them since they offer nice views. The trail is less steep and winds around numerous hills. After winding around the last hill the trail turns south through an open field.

Coming to the TThe large open field coming up to the T


After a while you will come to an old fence and the trail T's. Turn left (east) at the T and the trail will climb quickly up through some rocks for a while. Once the grade starts to ease you will be able to see the rocks that hide the "Eye of the Sandias", a popular geocache. Just past the "Eye" you will be able to see the remainder of the route. Continue on the gentle sloping trail into the rocks.
At the TThe T where you turn left (east)
The EyeThe Eye of the Sandias rocks


The trail will wrap around the side, just below the summit. When the trail runs out head right. There is only about 20 feet of easy scrambling to the summit.
Summit ScrambleOn the summit looking down; the trail will come through the rocks on the right side of this picture.

Essential Gear

Typical Gear for a short hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.