Fany-y-big / Cribyn / Gwaun Cerrig Llwyd

Fany-y-big / Cribyn / Gwaun Cerrig Llwyd

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

FAN-Y-BIG


Easily overlooked in the shadow of it's higher neighbours, and often bypassed by walkers, it's not terribly obvious that this is actually a summit, occuring as is it does at the western end of a virtually flat ridge. Although not particularly impressive in itself, it does offer good views of Cribyn to the north-west and Craig Cwareli to the south-east.
Characterised by the “diving Board” a much photographed rock platform which projects from the summit over the steep scarp.

CRIBYN


A prominent summit with a steep climb from the north-east. An interesting path traverses it's north-west face and provides an excellent viewpoint for Pen y Fan. In spite of being overshadowed by it's higher neighbours, Cribyn is an enjoyable summit in it's own right and makes for a satisfying triple summit traverse with Pen y Fan and Corn Du.

Sometimes called “the Welsh Matterhorn” a tribute more closely linked with Cnicht in the Moelwyni of North Wales. It is believed that the low pile of stones at the summit are the remains of an ancient burial cairn.

GWAUN CERRIG LLWYDION


Barely noticeable as a summit, and possessing no name of it's own (instead taking the name of the moorland to the south-west), this is nothing more than a high point on the flat ridge stretching between Fan y Big and Waun Rydd. Nevertheless, the ridge in question makes for an excellent walk along the crest of steep cliffs with fine views.
A bleak moor known locally as the “moon grass country”. The highest point, crossed by the path is unmarked.

THE ROUTE


Group: Brecon Beacons
Number of summits: 3
Time required: 4 hours
Map: OS 1:25,000 Outdoor Leisure Sheet 11
Start: At 037237- the road-track junction at the entrance to Cwm Cynwyn Farm
Parking: Limited roadside at the junction
Nearest centre: Brecon (5km)

From the junction take the track leading south, this “Roman road” crossing the Beacons often evokes curiosity among historians regarding its authenticity. While the road bears certain hall marks of Roman engineering, it is doubtful that it is Roman in origin it has been suggested that the road linked the Y Gaer auxiliary fort near Breacon , which was built about AD80. To other Roman Garrisons further south. Pass thriugh the gate , and bear right off the track, pick up the path and make headway up the crest of the ridge, Bryn-teg. The path rises steadily, passes a prominent cairn and eventually strikes up the “nose”, the steep north ridge of Cribyn. Ascend to the summit, head south east and drop back down to the “Roman road” at the pass, Bwlch ar y Fan, often known as the “Gap”. Cross the road, continue forward and make the sharp pull to Fan Y Big, the second summit. Follow the path leading south, merge with the path ascending from the Gap and circle the scarp crest to the third and final summit Gwaun Cerrig Llwydion.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.