Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Fellow Smootophile

I confess the same obsession Brian - except mine started on Baker in 1997 and I'm likely too old to complete it now.

Some lovely stories here - particularly from the early days - and great beta for Glacier (which I will do come what may).

I agree re Diamond. It should be on the Smoot list, especially since I've done it!

Garibadi IS on there already, at least in my copy - the 1992 edition. You might want to correct that.

Thanks for a great and useful read.

Cheers, Martin

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 26, 2010 1:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fellow Smootophile

Thanks, did not know that about an earlier edition. I wonder why it was left out on mine. Now I REALLY have to get up there and do it. Had to back out on a climb of it a few years ago.

Glacier is beautiful but I would really recommend taking 4 days to do it to enjoy it more.

Never too old!

rasgoat

rasgoat - Oct 28, 2010 10:43 pm - Voted 10/10

yeah

We had the jets there too! they are awesome! congrats, we did not summit, just made it to the kitty litter between dissapointment & Glacier.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 29, 2010 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: yeah

Thanks, those jets are really something. I bet the pilots dig it too. Bummer on not summitting but that just means hopefully you can go back and enjoy it some other time. I thought it was a really beautiful place, just a lot of miles.

Cheers,
Brian

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Oct 31, 2010 11:02 am - Voted 10/10

Congratulations...

...on completing your tick list. I too am more from the school of "Being out in a beautiful place enjoying nature and the outdoors is way more important to me than any prominence, county high point, state high point, geocache list-checking could ever be.", but also understand the desire to complete a list. (Just haven't found that list yet!)

Really well written TR and an enjoyable read! Thanks for posting.
Mark

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 31, 2010 6:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations...

Thanks for the kind words. I guess list-making, for those that do it, could be a way of having goals and things to look forward to. Although normally, I seem to fall in love with a photo from some mountain face or glacier or lake and decide I want to see it in person. It's all good though, as long as we keep getting out there. Appreciate your nice comments. Cheers,
Brian

EastKing

EastKing - Oct 31, 2010 11:33 pm - Voted 10/10

The list

Nice job Brian on completing the list. I right now am working on a similiar list; all summits over 10,000 in Washington and Oregon. Your work on SP between 2003-2006 on SP (Along with Klenke, Dean and many SPer's here) it the reason why I am out here today. I hope to complete my list next year or 2012. Keep on climbing and writing both in the Northwest and the Northeast!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 1, 2010 1:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The list

Thanks, appreciate your kind words. Good luck with your list. My TR for my recent trip to New Hampshire will be in the works soon. Have to add (or have my buddy add) a couple Taconic pages so I can get the pix up though. Gotta love New England in the autumn.

Brian

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 1, 2010 10:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: The list

New England is great in autumn especially when you hit the colors just right. When the trees are prime it is an amazing site to see. Looking forward to that TR. I will be heading back there sometime in fall next year. Might do a Pres Traverse and an expanded Pemi Traverse while there.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Nov 2, 2010 6:54 am - Voted 10/10

To make a list

i think, is a very common thing around mountaineers...
I did mine for 2010 and i finished about 5 summits ago hehehe
And the 2011 list is ready!
Congrats on the climb, photos and excelent TR. And, of course, good luck on the 2011 list, which i'm sure you are thinking already hehehe..
Cheers

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 2, 2010 2:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: To make a list

Thanks for your nice words. And yes, I was looking at my maps the other day thinking about 2011............

Cheers,
Brian

BrookTroutLeiphart - Nov 2, 2010 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

No sleeping bag-save weight

I liked your article on your volcanos.
The first timed I climbed Mt. Rainier (1975), I did not take a sleeping bag to save weight. I did have winter clothes, stove, foam pad, and a sleeping bag cover. I slept outside of Camp Muir and was fine under the stars. Spent the next night on top in the summit crater and was very cold until the sun hit me. What a dumb mistake not to take a sleeping bag! Watched a great sunset from the summit. Could see Jefferson to the right of Hood and even saw the Pacific ocean beyond the Olympic range!!!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 3, 2010 1:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: No sleeping bag-save weight

Wow, I didn't know you could see the ocean from there. Very nice. That is a super clear day!

Yeah, hopefully I won't make the same sleeping bag mistake again. Live and learn.

Cheers,
Brian

BKW

BKW - Nov 4, 2010 3:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Eye-witness

Thanks for the great trip report and congrats on reaching your goal! I think a lot of trip reports glaze over the horrible conditions around the White Chuck Glacier, but you definately captured it.
I was in the group of "robots". It was my first time climbing with that group and my trash was thoroughly kicked, but I got out alive. A few of them were marathon runners and one did the whole thing in running shoes (augh! not recommended). Looking back, I'm not sure how some of us survived.

~Ben

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 6, 2010 1:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Eye-witness

Ha ha, hilarious. Yeah, you guys were definitely in a groove that night. We tried to keep up for a while but slowly lost your group in the gloom. Great job. Were you one of the two guys that were with our group for a little bit longer than the others because one guy had a nerve problem in his foot?

Nice job,
Brian

BKW

BKW - Apr 27, 2011 2:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eye-witness

No, those two were co-workers of mine. The poor soul with the foot pain was actually suffering the first symptoms of a bulging disk in his spine. Youch!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Apr 29, 2011 7:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Eye-witness

Oh geez! Hope he is doing ok. Not a good place to have that come up.

rpc

rpc - Nov 5, 2010 1:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Brian,

congrats man! Many of us started with Smoot's list(s)...unlike most of us, you've actually ticked one off completely :)

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 6, 2010 1:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Brian,

Thanks, man. Although I am not a particular fan of some of his information in the books, that's the first climbing book I ever got so I wanted to hit those. Oregon High is a much better book for route info though.

Dean

Dean - Nov 5, 2010 1:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Way to go

Nice to see you finish that particular list, a nice accomplishment.

Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
Return to 'Finishing My List' main page