First Winter Attempt at Arvon

First Winter Attempt at Arvon

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75600°N / 88.15600°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 15, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Snow In the U.P.

My (former) girlfriend Kelly and I recently attempted to climb Mt. Arvon in MI on 3-15-06. After driving over 1000 miles from western MT, and climbing Eagle Mountain, MN the night before, then through a heavy snowstorm (MT scale 8/10) all through northern WI. We woke up after sleeping next to a church in the Subaru, somewhere in the center of the Upper Penninsula, (they call it the U.P.).
We drove to L'anse, and met with Steve Koski at Indian Country Sports, (17 S. Front St.) who gave us a good map of the area, and sold us a small keychain of Mt. Arvon as a souvenier. He gave us some "completion" certificats as we headed off with the warning of possible deep snow after the 1st gravel Pit.
Mt. Arvon Sign


Well, long story short, we later met with Steve again, to give him back his "completion" certificates that we were unable to honorably fill out. He was unfortuantly right, as we aproached the 1st Gravel Pit, we were stopped when the plow ceased, and 32" of snow where in front of us, and about 5 miles of untracked snow to cross before the HP. We decided we did not want to get lost on snowshoes, somewhere in MI after following a snowdrift for a few miles! Upon telling Steve about our bad luck, he informed us that had we been there 3 days earlier, we would have had to choose between our hiking boots and our tennis shoes. From what we could gather, This was like a freak storm, that rarely happens to dump as much snow!!!

For grieving our loss, we ate at the Hilltop Restaurant, which has the LARGEST cinnamon rolls you'll ever eat. I highly recommend for their good prices. I would recommend this treatment, whether you summit Arvon or not.

So, onto WI, and the town of Watersmeet, MI-Which is home to the "Nimrods" (their school logo?)
The Nimrods (just for laughs!)


Comments

No comments posted yet.