Five day Cedar Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 15.58°S / 35.38000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Average fitness required
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starts at Likabula Forest Station. Not this is not a circular route and you will need to organise transport to return you to Likabula at the end.

Route Description


Day 1: Walk up the Chapaluka path to Chambe basin through Brachystegia trees along the Likhubula stream. Approx 2 hrs. This is a very steep ascent. From here traverse for 1 hr along relatively level terrain to the Chambe hut.

Day 2: Next day hike out of Chambe Basin across the narrow saddle separating Chambe basin from the massif. Approx 2 hrs. Continue through endemic Mulanje cedar forests to the base of Sapitwa. There is a hut here for those wishing to attempt an ascent of the peak. Allow a night here for an ascent. Ascending requires above average fitness and you must be comfrotable with friction walking on steep granite slopes. The route involves a scramble. Route is marked with red flashes on the rocks. Total time from hut to peak and back again approx 5 hrs.

From the hut continue to Tuchila hut approx 3 hrs away.

Day 3: Short hike (approx 3 hrs) to Chinzama Hut. This hut is a suitable base for ascending Chagaru peak. This route involves some hard scrambling which includes negotiating a narrow cave formed by fallen chockstones. Round trip time 3 hrs. Remain at Chinzama hut for night.

Day 4: Hike along the upper Ruo plateau and then along the Malosa river to Madzeka hut, situated on the southern end of the Madzeka basin. This is the most remote area of Mulanje massif with limited evidence of human interference. Hike time approx 5 hrs.

Day 5: Descend along the Ruo River. This is a very worthwhile hike with some wonderful views. End at the Lujeri Tea estate. Hike time approx 2 1/2 hrs.


Essential Gear


Normal hiking equipment - no mattresses or tents necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.