Forest Road 418

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.86000°N / 106.018°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start walking up the road towards the locked gate. It’s about a ½ mile from the turnoff to the locked gate. Once you reach it, you will have to go left to avoid the private property. Turn left, and walk south along the fence for several hundred feet to bypass the private property. The fence then ends near a ravine, and you will enter state land in this area. There’s no definitive boundary as to where the private land ends and the state land begins, but the map shows the state land just south of the road.

Once you reach the end of the fence, turn right and start climbing up the slope next to the ravine. The slope is easy to climb up. You will be climbing just south of the road as it switchbacks up the slope. There are several houses up here. Continue climbing up the slope. At about 9,700’, the road enters the Carson National Forest. Once you reach 9,700’, you can turn right and head for the road. The road is now known as Forest Road 418. Start heading up the uneventful road as it climbs steadily up the mountain. At about 10,180’, the road switchbacks right. A primitive road heads for Antone Peak here. Continue up the road as it switchbacks left, then starts heading for the summit. Make the final push to the forested summit, where there are no views. However, there are lots of radio towers here. The mountain can also be climbed from almost any direction. Forest Roads 118 and 87 circle the entire mountain.


Hiking Distance: About 8 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,500’ from the turnoff.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.