Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.86000°N / 106.018°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10908 ft / 3325 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

San Antonio Mountain is a large, free-standing mountain in northern New Mexico. This dome-shaped mountain rises in relative isolation above sagebrush flats about nine miles south of the Colorado border. The rounded volcanic dome of San Antonio Mountain is a major landmark along US Highway 285, and is located at the southern end of the scenic San Luis Valley.

The summit of the mountain is located in the Carson National Forest, but other areas of the mountain are on BLM, state, and private property. San Antonio Mountain appears as an almost perfectly symmetrical dome from certain angles. However, other angles reveal two distinct summits: the 10,890’ Antone Peak, and the 10,908’ San Antone Peak. Together, they form San Antonio Mountain. There are several radio towers at the summit, and a road leads up to them. San Antonio Mountain is the highest of the numerous cinder cone peaks in the area.

Surrounded by higher mountains all around, San Antonio Mountain doesn't receive much attention. But the new field of Prominence has made San Antonio Mountain a more important objective. With a prominence of 2,108', it's just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the town of Tres Piedras on US 285, drive north about 14 miles to the southeast slopes of San Antonio Mountain. You will then see a prominent road that heads west up the mountain. Turn left onto the road. You will now be on BLM land. However, you will immediately see a sign that says “Road Closed ½ Mile Ahead”. Drive up the road a short distance and park.

You can drive all the way to the locked gate, but it may be better to park further down the road. Private property is located past the locked gate. All of San Antonio Mountain is located on public property, except for this one square mile area of private property along the road. This road turns into Forest Road 418 after it passes through the private property and enters the Carson National Forest.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Tres Piedras Ranger District at 505-758-8678 for the latest conditions.

Forest Service Map: Carson National Forest.
Topo Maps: San Antonio Mountain; La Segita Peaks.

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in the vicinity of San Antonio Mountain. However, there are many nearby campgrounds in the Carson National Forest.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.