Viewing: 1-7 of 7
ncst

ncst - Oct 27, 2009 1:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing this info. I didn't know these were sacred peaks of the Navajo, although I've summitted two of them.

BigRob

BigRob - Oct 28, 2009 12:44 am - Hasn't voted

Sacred Mountains

I've worked on the Navajo Reservation for 13 years. I've climbed Hesperus and can see it from my house. I've just always wandered about the designation as North with Blanca being designated East. I didn't pull out a map and check, but Hesperus is not much more North of Blanca (if at all).

BigRob

BigRob - Oct 28, 2009 12:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sacred Mountains

I wouldn't mind to come give Humphrey's a go in winter. If ever in my neck of the woods (Cortez, CO) and want to climb give me a yell.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 4, 2009 9:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Many Thanks

As someone who devoured the Tony Hillerman Navajo mysteries, I really appreciate this list. They are referred to often in the books.

Nelson

Nelson - Jul 27, 2010 11:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Blood and Thunder

... by author Hampton Sides also mentions these peaks quite a bit. The book is a history of the Navajo and their dealings with Kit Carson, Stephen Watts Kearny, and others during the mid-19th century. Great book, and this a great idea for a page. Thanks.

AZ_hiker

AZ_hiker - Sep 3, 2020 6:31 am - Hasn't voted

Navajo Sacred Mountains

I enjoyed your posts on the sacred mountains. I summited Humphreys in July which is the sacred mountain to the West for the Diné, it is the summit that never melts. And I summited Mt Taylor (Blue Bead Mountain) over the weekend which is the scared mountain to the south. I want to get to Colorado to hike Hesperus Mountain next. And than Blana Peak. I am Diné and I will be one of the few among my tribe to summit all four sacred peaks.

Humphrey

Humphrey - Sep 3, 2020 7:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Navajo Sacred Mountains

Right on. I'm headed for Humphrey's Peak today. This weekend looks like a good one for you for either of the two Colorado summits, especially with the 112 forecast for the Valley.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Four Sacred Peaks of the Navajo' main page