Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.77174°N / 142.23021°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10365 ft / 3159 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fredricka mountain is located 12 miles and 7,500 ft west of Skolai Airstrip. It has only been ascended a couple times. 

 

It is a hardy 10,000 ft peak that can be accessed from Skolai Airstrip. Hiking West down along Skolai Creek on the ‘horse trail’ seen on TOPO maps (but not NatGeo Map) until the cabin. Here hike toward and gain Fredricka Glacier and choose your route up.

 

 

Getting There

Fly into Skolai Airstrip and head west on the USGS marked horse trail toward Fredricka Glacier past a wilderness cabin. Ascend the glacier and choose a route.

Route

Direct Route

The only recorded summit was up the 30-50 degree steep snow up the glacier to the summit as described in a short 1990 AAJ article.

West Ridge

Two McCarthy mountain guides had attempted an ascent in June 2019 up the West ridge to avoid steep snow/ice but turned back a few hundred feet from summit due to hanging cornice, icefall and rock fall risks. 

Risks

Not uncommon for Fredricka to be cloudy while the rest of the valley is clear.

Brown bears are active in the area.

Glacier travel required, crevasses likely will have be navigated.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Skolai Basin MountainsMountains & Rocks