Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.62702°N / 142.17355°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8420 ft / 2566 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Baldwin splits the two exit glaciers spilling out of the Hole in the Wall Glacier. Each aspect provides a different type of objective. It looks chossy.

Getting There

Mt. Baldwin can be accessed a few miles West from the Skolai Airstrip via Wrangell Mountain Air from McCarthy. The SW side has high scree to a rock headwall. The Eastern side is mostly crossed headwall. The NE side has a glacier nearly to the summit. 

Route

SW Route

Gaining the SW scree and finding a route up the last 500 ft to summit is probably the best way to get high up. However, accessing the SW requires hiking 3-4 miles of the East tongue of Hole in the Wall. A tedious rock glacier hike. Alternatively a rock/ice climb up the West tongue of the hole in the wall. All rock looks of low quality but no rock fall was observed on Mount Baldwin despite the heavy rock fall off other glaciated walls.

 

NE Route

Alternatively you the glacier approach could work but you will likely result in some headwall to the summit.

 

No recorded ascents found online.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Skolai Basin MountainsMountains & Rocks