From Sarchal Shelter

From Sarchal Shelter

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.39860°N / 50.96250°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log


Getting There

From the shelter on the west end of the town of Roodbarak, drive a dirt road to a place called Vandar Bon. You will find another shelter at this spot. The road continues a little more to end at an elevation of 2350 m. Total distance from Roodbarak shelter to the end of the road is 12 Km.

Route Description

All distances are per my GPS

Place………..…Elevation (m)…….Distance (Km)

End of Road……2350……………..Zero

Keshti Sang ……2700………………2.6
Rock

Sarchal Shelter….3750………………3.4

North Siah
Gook…………….4505………………2.0

South Siah
Gook……………4510……………….0.5


Total………………………………………….8.5 Km


From the end of the road, follow a well-established and well-signed trail to Sarchal Shelter/Alam Kooh (ie follow the left branch and not the right branch which goes to Kaljaran Pass/Kalahoo. Signs are in Farsi and in English). As the trail goes up the slopes, it generally remains about 100 m above the stream at the bottom of the valley. At an elevation of 2700 m, the trail crosses the stream near a huge boulder named Kashti Sang (Ship Rock).

At around 3450 m, you will see a huge hill made of dirt and crushed rock. This is probably the terminal moraine of the valley glaciers. Continue up the trail to reach the 3750 m Sarchal Shelter.

From Sarchal Shelter, head east and go up the steep slopes behind the shelter until you reach the saddle between Sar Espad Peak to the northeast and a Round-Top high point to the southwest. Turn southwest and follow the ridge-top to reach the summit of the Round-Top high point where a “plateau” appears. You can then follow any path to reach the summit of North Siah Gook Peak.

You can see South Siah Gook from North Siah Gook. A few jagged rocky high points stand between the two peaks. Descend a few tens of vertical meters on the west side of North Siah Gook and head south bypassing the jagged high points to the west of them until you reach the scree covered western slopes of South Siah Gook then head up to reach the summit.
SummitWestern Slopes

Essential Gear

In summer, hiking and camping equipment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.