Glacier of Aneto

Glacier of Aneto

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.74628°N / 0.64155°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.1 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: II+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The ridge of the Portillones...Portillones

Trailhead: Renclusa/Hospital de Benasque.
Time: 4h from La Renclusa. 5h 40 min form Hosp. de Benasque.

This is the normal route in summer when the access of Col de la Rimaya is impossible. The route had a chimney of 25 meters of II+.

Getting There

See the main page for approach.

Route Description

The channel of access to...Ch. Portillones

The firts part of the route are the same of Aneto and Maladeta-col de la rimaya, to the Portillón Superior. After a few of meters of the entry in the glacier of Aneto we leave this route (with a lot of people generally walking in east direction) turning to north side. Is possible the way in lefy side over the plain glacier or in the border of right side with the glacier under the ridge north of Maladeta. In both cases the direction is evident to the wide col in the north (Collado Maldito).
Portillon SuperiorPortillon Sup

Is not necessary to reach the Col Maldito, a few meters before is the access to the chimney under the peak of Maladeta. It's the first chimney from the Col to right side. The access generally is possible to august but at the end od august and september with less snow is difficult reach the rocks. The ramp of snow had 35º to the bottom of the chimney.
Sketch of routeSketch

The chimney is narrow and vertical (II+, 25m) to reach the upper exit in the ridge (3275m). Not anchorage for rappel to descent.
The ridge is easy with great blocks of stone to reach the summit of Maladeta for the south side (3308m).

Essential Gear

Portillon SuperiorPortillon Sup

Crampons and ice axe in the walk of the glacier and the access to the chimney.
Harness and rope with strings to tie it if you want make a rappel in the chimney to the descent.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.