Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Boydie

Boydie - Nov 26, 2017 4:37 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent

Great page Mark. Really in depth info with a good array of associated pictures. I like the seasonal comparison pictures you put together and really like the 'midge' section. Always felt the midges were super tough in the northwest when they came out in the rain, but now I know why!
Cheers,
Stephen

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 26, 2017 7:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent

Ha Ha - yes - but they are actually super tough as well, little sods!
Thanks a lot for the kind feedback on the page.
BW Mark

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - Nov 27, 2017 5:41 am - Voted 10/10

Fantastic

Fantastic page Mark, as always...

Lodewijk

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 27, 2017 2:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic

Thanks Lodewijk - having seen a few of your contributions, that is a big compliment!
bw Mark

rgg

rgg - Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page, Mark

Reading this makes me realize how little of the area I actually saw, back in 2010. On the plus side: I had done my research and came in May, early enough to avoid the midges: There were none, contrary to your experience later in that same year!

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 29, 2017 2:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page, Mark

Thanks Rob - it has been my biggest project on SP, what with 4 trips and sifting through all the material generated.
The area is fantastic and after I hang up my high altitude boots I hope to go back there and do the Affric to Kintail Way.
I have to say the midges were not that bad, despite the passion reflected in the 'Midges' section! They were certainly there in both June and August (so maybe you only just escaped in May!). They just came out on the relatively few occasions when there was no wind - and then they were 'moderate' - but to my surprise almost completely repelled by the combination of Smidge and head-net... wish I had known about that in 2010, but although head-nets were around I don't think Smidge was back then. As a final observation, on my August trip with my sons and granddaughter; we noticed they attacked my sons with at least as much of an appetite as me, but didn't seem to touch Eevee, my 4 year old granddaughter. Just as well as she refused to wear the head-net I got for her! Even if they weren't biting her you would think they would still have done the other trick of crawling in her eyes and nose, as they did with us - but no!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Spectacular job, Mark

I have to say this instantly joins SP's very best area/range pages.

The pictures of swimming in those lakes made me cold from here!

markhallam

markhallam - Nov 30, 2017 12:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Spectacular job, Mark

Thanks a lot Bob. I have really enjoyed putting it together. Hopefully it may inspire a few to come and explore Glen Affric.

In terms of swimming in the lakes... Glen Affric was very cold in February and it didn't feel much better in June. But Loch Beinn a'Mheadhoin in August was nice!

MikeLJ

MikeLJ - Dec 1, 2017 12:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Fabulous

A fabulous page Mark. It really shows Scotland at its best. Had me scrambling for my diaries ( and the SMC "Munros" guide). I was disappointed to realise, I hadn't climbed any of them! My visits were all around Kintail.
Another area to add to my list of places to visit!

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 1, 2017 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fabulous

Hi Mike - nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the kind words. Yes, well worth a visit and I hope you get over there. Don't be disappointed - you have a beautiful place to look forward to! (and you could maybe add a few mountain pages to link to this page when you get back!) best wishes Mark

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Glen Affric Range' main page