Hiking around Lonquimay

Hiking around Lonquimay

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Water

Overview

Dead forest northeast of Lonquimay
Dead forest northeast of Lonquimay. I presume these trees were killed by the eruption.
New growth after the 1988-1990 eruption
New growth
Drowned tree
Drowned tree
In December 2005 I went to South America for the first time. Knowing hardly any Spanish and still in my early days of exploring the great outdoors, I joined an organized hiking trip to Chile and Argentina. Our first hike was four days, around Lonquimay, a volcano that had erupted as recent as in 1990.

The signs of the eruption were still fresh. To the northeast, a long, barren swath of lava covered the landscape. We didn't cross it. In fact, I think it would have been quite dangerous to try, considering the extremely rugged terrain and sharp volcanic rocks. As we hiked around it, in various places the lava deposits had cut off small valleys, creating little lakes with strange colors. I imagine that minerals leaking out of the volcanic rocks were the cause of that, including some heavy metals perhaps. We didn't take water from those lakes.

The paddle points at Lonquimay. To the northeast, the large lava flow left by the 1988-1990 eruption has left a big scar on the landscape. Northwest of Lonquimay lies Tolhuaca, another volcano of about the same height. It's either dormant or extinct. The Lonquimay circuit crosses the saddle between the two.
Click here for a larger map.

External Links

Global Volcanism Program | Lonquimay

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.