Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.34642°N / 111.67795°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 7, 2021
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering

Overview

The 12633 ft Humphreys Peak is the highest mountain in Arizona. A look at the topographic map makes it appear as if Humphreys Peak is the highest point on the rim of a prehistoric volcano that has collapsed. At least one internet source says that the volcano is estimated to have been 15000-16000 feet tall. Other nearby peaks such as Agassiz (12356 ft) and Fremont (11969 ft) Peaks seem to be high points on the same rim.

 

I knew that climbing Humphreys Peak on the Labor Day Weekend would mean running into many other hikers so I had decided to climb the lesser visited Agassiz or Fremont Peaks. A few weeks before my hike, I learned that to protect the environment, climbing Agassiz or Fremont Peaks were not allowed when no snow present. In the end, Kris and I climbed Humphreys Peak on the Tuesday after Labor Day Weekend via its standard trail to the west. I actually made it to the summit before Kris. Shortly after leaving, I saw Kris coming up and went back to the top with him. I can say that I climbed Humphreys Peak twice.

 

 

Trip Report 

Trail Head Elevation: 9270 ft

Summit Elevation: 12633 ft

Hike Length: 10.52 miles

Total Ascent: 3492 ft

 

Tuesday September 7, 2021

Kris and I drove to the Arizona Snow Bowl Trailhead on the western slopes of Humphreys Peak. Started our hike at 6:05 AM when it was 46 degrees F. The trail traversed the bottom of a ski slope and then entered a forest of tall Aspen and Conifer trees making a number of long switchbacks going up the slopes. Boulders covered the trail surface in many places slowing down the hiking speed.

 

Forest near the start of trail
Forest near the start of trail

 

The forest began to thin out at around 11400 ft elevation. We reached the 12000 ft saddle between Humphreys Peak and Mt. Agassiz at 8:46 AM and 4 miles of hiking. Summit from the saddle.

 

Summit from the 12000 ft saddle
Summit from the 12000 ft saddle

 

Kris said he wanted to go slower so I went ahead faster and called him every 30 minutes on the walkie-talkie.

 

Above the saddle
Above the saddle
Above the saddle
Above the saddle

 

 

Past a couple of high point, I reached the summit at 9:50 AM and 5.14 miles of hiking. Five to six people were on the summit and for the duration that I was up there, more people came and went. Sat there to eat and enjoy the views. The weather was very pleasant. Looking west, Kendrick Peak seen.

 

Kendrick Peak, looking west
Kendrick Peak, looking west

 

Looking north toward Grand Canyon. Many volcanic cinder hills seen.

 

Looking north
Looking north

 

View south to Agassiz Peak.

 

Agassiz Peak, looking south
Agassiz Peak, looking south

 

West, the distant O’Leary Peak and the closer Abineau & Rees Peaks.

 

Abineau, Rees and O'Leary Peaks, looking east
Abineau, Rees and O'Leary Peaks, looking east

 

Southeast at Fremont & Doyle Peaks.

 

Fremont & Doyle Peaks, looking southeast
Fremont & Doyle Peaks, looking southeast

 

Looking southwest.

 

Looking southwest
Looking southwest

 

Radioed Kris from the summit but there was no connection. He later said the battery had died. Left around 10:20 AM going back the way I had come. After only a tenth of a mile, I saw Kris coming up, so I stood there until he reached me and I accompanied him back to the summit again then left at 10:45 AM.

 

Going down toward the 12000 ft saddle, we ran into people hiking up fairly frequently.

 

Agassiz Peak & Inner Basin
Agassiz Peak & Inner Basin
Looking southwest, below the summit
Looking southwest, below the summit
Looking north, below the summit
Looking north, below the summit
Agassiz, Fremont & Doyle Peaks
Agassiz, Fremont & Doyle Peaks

 

 

A look back at the summit.

 

Looking back at the summit
Looking back at the summit

 

Looking east into Inner Basin.

 

Inner Basin
Inner Basin
Inner Basin
Inner Basin

 

 

Reached the 12000 ft saddle at 11:45 AM, 6.44 miles. Below the saddle, saw only 2-3 other groups of hikers.

The rocky trail.

 

Rock covered trail
Rock covered trail

 

Pretty Aspens near the end.

 

Aspens near the start of the trail
Aspens near the start of the trail

 

Kendrick Peak from the ski slope.

 

Kendrick Peak
Kendrick Peak

 

Humphreys Peak from near trail head.

 

Humphreys Peak from near Arizona Snow Bowl Trailhead
Humphreys Peak from near Arizona Snow Bowl Trailhead

 

Reached the car at 2:10 PM and 10.52 miles. Back in Flagstaff, it was up to 90 degrees F.

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.