International party on Iliniza Norte (2005)

International party on Iliniza Norte (2005)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 0.64869°S / 78.7191°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 8, 2005
Activities Activities: Hiking

About this page

This report is both in English and French. - Français suit plus bas.

English version

Refugio Nuevos HorizontesRefugio Nuevos Horizontes

ILINIZA Norte 5126m (Ecuador / Andes / Cordilliera Occidental), normal route, committed trek (II, 70 degrees, + 475m), with Suzy (UK) and Scott (USA), (June 2005 / good weather):

The Ilinizas are actually one extinct volcano with a broken cone resulting in two peaks with summits 1km apart. If Iliniza Sur, the higher of the two, is still glaciated (the difference with old pictures is impressive though!) and has technical routes (AD and higher), Iliniza Norte however, has no more permanent snow (although the maps depict one…) and does not feature any technical difficulty via the normal route. The ascent of the Ilinizas (Sur and Norte) generally starts at Refugio Nuevos Horizontes (4650m) nearby the saddle separating the two peaks. To reach this hut, it is common to pay for a ride to La Virgen parking (3800m?). This is the trailhead. The trail crosses the "paramo" and a little wood and continues toward the hut.
I chose Iliniza Norte for a re-acclimatization climb after my first attempt of Cotopaxi and following the rest week I had at Laguna Quilotoa. However, things were not going to be that straightforward with Iliniza Norte either!
Iliniza Norte as seen from...Iliniza Norte as seen from the hut

The first time, I went to the refuge alone. In addition to the custodian, I found there, a Quebecer couple. They were from my city: Montreal! As the French say: Le monde est petit! (Reminds me the Quebecer I had met in Lima and I found 3 weeks later in a neighborhood of Montreal!!). A bit later, 3 Tyroleans and their Ecuadorian guide arrived as it started to snow. Their guide, Marcial, had the escutcheon of the Ecuadorian national association of mountain guides (ASEGUIM). Obviously, he was not from what they call in Ecuador the "indigenous communities".
The night above 4600m was not really pleasant to me. My forehead started to ache, bad sign as far as acclimatization… I was not the only one in this case: at 6 am, the 2 Quebecers and one of the Tyroleans were at the same stage. For Marcial the situation was not serious enough to give-up the short climb to the Norte summit and the Tyrolean party took-off. So did the Quebecers. But I chose another option: I wanted to go down to the first village in order to recover and come-back a bit later for another attempt! Marcial’s party did the 475m of elevation gain quite quickly and were back to the hut early. The Quebecers had more troubles and had to give-up at about 5000m…
Hacienda El RefugioHacienda El Refugio

We all went down and back to El Chaupi, a village located at about 3000m of altitude. After socializing a bit, the Tyroleans and Marcial took off for a rest / tourism day prior to their ascent of Cotopaxi. I stayed in Hacienda El Refugio for a good and long nap! Late in the afternoon, I was in a good shape and was already considering a plan for my second attempt when a tourist couple arrived at the hacienda: Scott from New York and Suzy, his British girlfriend. They were coming from Quito and both of them had already spent months in the Ecuadorian Sierra. Scott told me he intended to hike to the refuge the same evening! I looked at my watch, it was 5 pm! At the equator, the sun rises at 6 am and sets at 6 pm all year long… "Why not?" After all, I had a headlamp, a compass, an altimeter and had already done it! Scott was also at his second attempt: The first time, he had turned back due to bad weather.
We paid a ride to La Virgen. As the night was moving in, things started to go wrong! It was not easy to identify the path through the bushes, especially that there were several tracks… Scott was walking very fast and Suzy was following him. By the time I double-check the direction, they were already far away! But not all roads necessarily lead to Rome… The positive thing was that they quickly realized they were turning in circles! Meanwhile, with some luck, I found the right path… with the same luck; we were able to follow the trail to the hut without wasting much time! Scott was in good shape as he used to mountain bike. Suzy was sportive as well; this was her first attempt to ascent a mountain!
High on Iliniza Norteon the normal route

The night, I slept really well in the hut. My two companions did not experience any altitude related issue either. The following morning we took-off for the summit at about 7 am. There was some snow left on the Norte from the previous day although most of it had already melted. Normally, saying when there is no snow and / or ice, the normal route of Iliniza Norte has no technical challenge. However, in hiking terms, it is rather “committed” as it even requires some scrambling at the “Paso de muerte” and near the summit. For a first experience, the route was quite challenging for Suzy. Scott was doing fine, yet giving the impression of being at his max on such terrain. Therefore, I contributed a bit to the collective cause and we all appreciated summiting together in beautiful weather! Could you imagine that girl’s first summit being a 5000m?!!
On the way down, we crossed a group of Germans who had set their multi-tent camp at La Virgen. They had a native guide. Believing I was a local guide, he asked me in Spanish if my customers were climbing well! Discussing with him, I found out he was a member of the cooperative of guides of Guargalla (see my Sangay Trip report), and a cousin of Delfin, who was leading an ascent far from his home mountains of Sangay National Park. The mountain world is definitely a small one!

Version française

ILINIZA Norte 5126m (Equateur / Andes / Cordilliera Occidental), voie normale, Trek engagé (II, 70 degrés, + 475m), avec Suzy (RU) et Scott (EU), (juin 2005 / beau temps):

Ilinizas est un volcan éteint au cône brisé laissant deux crêtes dont les 2 sommets, en vis-à-vis, sont distants de 1km. Si Iliniza Sur, le plus haut des 2, a encore des glaciers (impressionnant quand même la différence avec les photos d’il y a 30 ans) et présente des parcours techniques (AD et +), Iliniza Norte, lui, n’a plus de glacier (pourtant il est présent sur les cartes…) et ne présente pas de difficulté technique via la voie normale. Pour accéder au Refuge Nuevos Horizontes (4650m), point de départ pour l’ascension des 2 Ilinizas, on prend un pick-up qui nous conduit jusqu’au Parking La Virgen (3800m ?). De là un sentier mène, à travers le « paramo » et un petit bois, au refuge situé un peu plus bas que le col qui sépare les 2 crêtes. J’ai choisi Iliniza Norte comme sommet d’acclimatation après ma première tentative au Cotopaxi et l’indispensable semaine de récupération qui l’a suivie. Pourtant il m’a fallu là aussi 2 tentatives pour atteindre le sommet ! La première fois, je suis monté au refuge seul, pour y retrouver, outre le gardien, un couple de Québécois de Montréal (le monde est bien petit vous savez ! Et je ne vous parle pas du Québécois que j’ai connu à Lima avec qui je me suis retrouvé nez a nez dans le centre ville de Montréal 3 semaines plus tard !!!). Quelques temps après, 3 Tyroliens et leur guide équatorien arrivaient sous la neige. Marcial portait l’écusson de l’association nationale des guides équatoriens ASEGUIM. Visiblement, il n’appartenait pas à ce qu’on appelle là-bas « les communautés indigènes ». La nuit à + de 4600m ne m’a pas été trop agréable. J’ai eu « la barre » à la tête, mauvais signe coté acclimatation… Je n’étais pas le seul dans ce cas : En faisant le bilan à 6h du matin, les 2 Québécois et un des Tyroliens en étaient au même point. Pour Marcial, il fallait y aller, « c’est pas grand chose ». Les Québécois, eux aussi, décident d’y aller. Quant à moi, j’opte pour une autre voie : je redescends au premier village et remonte un peu plus tard pour une autre tentative ! La bande à Marcial n’a pas traîné pour faire les 475m de dénivelés jusqu’au sommet et revenir au refuge, les Québécois, eux, ont eu plus de mal et ont fini par faire demi-tour vers les 5000m… Apres quoi, on est tous descendu à El Chaupi, village situe à environ 3000m d’altitude. Puis, Marcial a emmené ses clients passer une journée de repos / tourisme avant de tenter Cotopaxi et moi je suis resté au « Hacienda El Refugio » pour une bonne et longue sieste ! En fin d’après midi, j’étais entièrement remis et envisageais mes possibilités quand est arrivé un autre couple de touriste : Scott de New York et Suzy, sa petite amie anglaise. Ils venaient de Quito et avaient déjà passé tous deux des mois dans la Sierra équatorienne. Scott m’a dit qu’il comptait monter au refuge le soir même ! J’ai regarde ma montre, il était 17h ! Au niveau de l’Equateur le soleil se lève à 6h et se couche à 18h toute l’année ! « Pourquoi pas ? » Après tout j’avais ma frontale, ma boussole et mon altimètre et avais déjà fait le chemin. Scott était à sa deuxième tentative lui aussi : La première fois, il avait fait demi-tour à cause du mauvais temps. On se fait débarquer au parking la nuit tombée et là, les choses se gâtent ! On ne voit pas grande chose dans les buissons, il y a plein de traces… Scott fuse et Suzy le suit et le temps que je vérifie un peu tout ça qu’ils sont déjà loin ! Mais bon, tous les chemins ne mènent pas à Rome !! Le point positif, c’est qu’ils se sont rapidement aperçus qu’ils tournaient en rond ! Entre temps avec du bol, j’ai trouvé le bon sentier… avec le même bol, on a été capable de retrouver la trace jusqu’au refuge sans trop perdre de temps ! Scott est en forme, c’est un habitué du VTT plus que de la Montagne. Suzy est une sportive et cela se voit, mais elle m’apprend que c’est là son premier sommet ! La nuit au refuge, je dors comme un bébé. Mes deux compagnons n’ont pas de problème d’altitude non plus. Il reste encore un peu de la neige qui était tombée la veille, mais le gros avait déjà fondu. En temps normal (sans neige et glace) la VN de l’Iliniza Norte ne présente aucune difficulté technique. Cela dit, en terme de rando, c’est plutôt aérien et demande même du « crapahutage » avant le sommet! Pour une première ascension, c’était un peu dure pour Suzy. Scott était là un peu à ses limites aussi. Donc, j’ai un peu contribué à la cause collective et nous avons eu la chance d’apprécier le sommet tous ensemble, et cela, dans un grand beau temps ! Imaginez quand même la fille qui pour sa première montagne se paye un 5000 !! Au retour, on a croisé un groupe d’Allemands guidé par un guide amérindien. Celui-ci me prenant pour un guide local, me demande en espagnol si mes clients avancent bien !! Il s’agissait d’un guide de la communauté de Guargalla (voir à Sangay), cousin de Delfin (le monde de la montagne est décidément petit), qui évoluait là loin de ses montagnes de Sangay !


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Andino

Andino - Jul 4, 2007 4:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo...

... pour la version française ! ;o)

Ario

Ario - Jul 5, 2007 8:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo...

bienvenue ! (comme on dit icitte ;o)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2