Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.75608°N / 20.57016°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7844 ft / 2391 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kabash mountain/peak is part of the massif of Mount Korab, western Macedonia, near the macedonian-albanian border. Distance from Golem Korab, the highest peak in this area and in entire Macedonia and Albania is around 5 km. This peak is one of the most attractive and beautiful peaks in Macedonia. Because of proximity of border line with Albania, this area was long-time prohibited to visit. Since 1990 small groups of mountaineers begin to visit Korab massif, but mainly Golem Korab peak. A large number of smaller peaks remained undiscovered and unclimbed. Kabash is very steep peak, mixture of rocks and grass slopes, dificult to climb even for experienced mountaineers. Surrounding peaks are Ribnicka Skala (2305 m) and Guri Kuj (2376 m). Every year on September 8, when Golem Korab traditionally is climbed, Kabash is the peak which attract most attention and sights of hundreds of mountaineers form different countries.

Getting There

Kabash: First ascent - Bibajvillage Bibaj
By car : From Skopje to Tetovo - Gostivar highway. After that motorway to Mavrovo and Debar. After 11 km from Mavrovo Lake you should turn right near village Volkovija to dirth road in Ribnica / Nistrovo direction. If you have 4WD you can drive to Bibaj or Nistrovo village. If not, leave the car in nearby parking and follow the dirt road - 6 kilometers - to village Bibaj (1200 m) . From there trail to Popova Livada and well-known Big Korab waterfall begins. There is some markation, but best way is to have an GPS track.

First recorded ascent

Kabash: First ascent - Towards seddle between Ribnicka Skala and kabash
Kabash: First ascent - Kabash and Ribnicka Skala
Kabash: First ascent - Dlaboka Reka valley, Kepi Bard, Golem Korab

We've asked all the mounatinners we know - did they know someone who climbed this peak in the past. General answer was - no. One reason was long year prohibition of this - border region, and second reason - this peak is very demanding - steep grass slopes and loose - unstable rocks.
We made first atempt to climb Kabash in September 2010 - but we made to climb Ribnicka Skala - first step to reach Kabash. Because of poor weather - rain and fog - we were forced to go back. This trip was form Nistrovo and Zuznje village.
Second attempt occured in June 2011 - from village Bibaj - this time we climbed Ribnicka Skala, went down to seddle between Ribnicka Skala and Kabash and climbed Kabash - 70 vertical meters under the Kabash peak. Bad weather, rain and thunderstorms forced us to go back again.
Finally on July 9, 2011 small group of four mountaineers from Skopje, members of mnt. club "Makpetrol" successfully climbed Kabash from the same side (eastern) like in first and second attempt. We hope in next period another groups of mountaineers will climb Kabash and will find other access routes to the top.

Red Tape

No red tape. This peak is not on the border line and you can visit it freely. You should be carefull in winter period - avalanche danger.

Camping

There are no restriction - as far as I know - for camping in that area - at least no one will come to make a question of it.

External Links

First ascent to Kabash - description and images (on macedonian)

Second attempt to climb Kabash (on macedonian)

First attempt to climb Kabash (on macedonian)

Topo maps

Kabash - Topo map with route from BibajTopo map of Kabash


Kabash: First ascent - Towards seddle between Ribnicka Skala and kabash
Kabash: First ascent - Ribnicka Skala peak
Kabash: First ascent - Crossing slippery scree
Kabash: First ascent - Small couloir
Kabash: First ascent - Small rest before the final push
Kabash: First ascent - Almost there
Kabash: First ascent - Approaching Kabash
Kabash: First ascent - First steps on Kabash peak
Kabash: First ascent - Building up marking stones
Kabash: First ascent - Kepi Bard wall


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Korab MassifMountains & Rocks