Krcic route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07000°N / 16.38000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


Krcic or Suho Polje route: 4-5h

Route #2 on the map.

This route was called Mirkovici route before, after a Mirkovici hamlet, where it used to be starting point. Mirkovici are small hamlet on the rocky plateau bellow Dinara's SW side, just above the Krcic river.
Marked path was moved few kilometers to the east and is using macadam road now to get you closer to the foothills of Dinara over a large rocky plateau that is gradually ascending. How to reach starting point? There are two options.

First one, through Krcic valley/canyon, is little bit slower but much more beautiful. From the center of Knin town you follow the signs towards Split. After some 4km there is a crossroad, right towards Split, left towards Bosansko Grahovo and Bosnia Herzegovina. You go straight forward. After a short uphill, road becomes macadam. Right away there is a junction. Our direction is to the left but before that it is well worth to go right, which will take you under Topoljski Buk, 40 meters high waterfall, where Krcic river falls into the source of Krka river (500m away from junction). You go back and at junction turn right. Shortly you are above the waterfall and it is well worth to stop here and enjoy the view. In the distance, through the valley, you can see Dinara. In next 10km or so road follows the river. The most beautiful section is when crosses the river over an old bridge to the right bank. In next 1-2km Krcic is narrow and fast, you pass by few old flour mills and road rises higher above the river. Left bellow you can see the source of Krcic. In a short left and right turns road leaves the valley and enters large Suho Polje field, slightly ascending, Dinara is dominating above it. Some 500 meters after these turns is a junction where is starting of our macadam road, sign on the rock says 'Dinara'.

Second option is to turn towards the Split on a cross road, 4km outside of Knin centre. After 12-13km, when Dinara's SW face completely opens, road turns right and begins to descent. Dinara is on the left. Near the bottom of descent, 14km behind Knin, you will see a junction. Here you leave main road and turn left towards Suho Polje field and Dinara. After some 2-2.5km you reach the starting point of the route, where the macadam road we are looking for, turns right towards Dinara. From here is exceptional view on Dinara's SW face.

You can either leave the car here or continue as far as you will be able to go, maybe even to the end of the road, some 4km uphill. It depends of the road condition, car that you have and your will to drive on not so good road. You'll need some 45mins on foot.

From the parking at the end of the road path climbs steeper over rocky terrain, going between hornbeam and black pine trees. Further up you reach burned pine forest. Through it path continues to climb in sharp bends. As you reach first beech tree's you are soon out of the forest and onto grassy slopes, which are under carpet of flowers in spring. Soon path turns right, going straight uphill till it joins Knin route in some 30mins, but this turn is easily missed. If that happens just continue straight towards the well visible pass in front of you. Left of the pass is bare rocky peak, Andica Vrh, with some scattered pine trees. Behind the pass view towards Duler meadows bellow opens up (2-2.30h from the end of the road). Here you turn right and continue horizontally till you get to the Knin route path, which ascends from Duler and is approaching from the left. Path gradually ascends, slowly going to the right, around Bukvin Vrh (1530m), as you approach Dinara peak, which is in front. When you pass by huge rock you are on Samar pass. Path turns left and climbs steeply towards two lonely beech trees. Behind them wide view towards west and Knin opens up. From the right you are approached by the original route. This is little bit longer but to me more beautiful variation of the route.

Path continues to ascends gradually, all the time going forward. Views are wide and beautiful. When it turns left, straight up, you are close. 20 more minutes of rock climbing till the summit of Dinara is reached, enjoying wide views on all sides. Last section was under dense colonies of dwarf pine, which burned few summers ago after large forest fires swept Dinara mountain and surroundings.

Essential Gear


In 'When to Climb' section

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DinaraRoutes