La Vertical

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.11a (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro Quemado


La Vertical is in the La Veritcal Section of Cerro Quemado. This single pitch route offers a very nice crack all the way to the top. You also have the choice of placing gear or using the bolts. The view from the top is stunning. The local rating for this route is 5.11a however, it more likely runs around 5.9+ or 5.10a.

Route Description

A lightning bolt hand crack, very sustained, a full set of friends #4 cam, and nuts will be needed. Anchors can be found up top but the piece of webbing must be replaced after each new ascent. The crux is near the top where you have to do a little dance to reach the next hold and the top of the route.

Essential Gear

A full set of friends, #4 cam, and nuts will be needed.

Getting There

From Xela, take any bus that goes to Almolonga or to Zunil via Almolonga (2 Quetzales). Get off at Baues and walk up the road. Its a 1.5km walk to La Muela and another 1.5km to Chicua. In Chicua, just ask where the trail is and take it up. The boulders and the routes are pretty obvious. You can also take a cab, the cost is about 100 Quetzales. La Vertical is pretty obvious from the trail head.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.