Leckfeldalm and Main Ridge

Leckfeldalm and Main Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.71000°N / 12.44000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There Section of the main page. The trailhead is at the Leckfeldalm meadow, which you can reach from Panzendorf east of Sillian.

Route Description

Zenzerspitze photo_id=120124

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1925mm
      - Summit altitude: 2393m
      - Prevailing exposition: N
      - Type: 4h over paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 1000m of altitude gain, 10km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    This is the roundabout way to Zenzerspitze but nonetheless a very popular and beautiful one. Actually for this route Zenzerspitze rarely is the final destination. Hikers usually take the descent along the Zenserspitze Ridge and thus come close to the mountain.

    From Leckfeldalm follow trail No 471 towards Füllhorn and Sillianer Hütte (marks, signposts). The trail can even be used by mountain bikers, it is in a fairly good condition and rather wide. At Füllhorn you reach the Carnic Alps Main Ridge. Turning east you have several possibilities to head onwards: an old WW I trail runs along on the northern (Austrian) side of the border; the corresponding Italian trail can be used in the south; the most beautiful trail (though unmarked) runs along the top of the ridge, always following the border, which is marked by milestones (rather km-stones).

    You cross the summits of Hochgruben (2538m), Hornischegg (2550m) and Hollbrucker Spitze (2580m) before you reach the WW I cemetery at Hochgränten pass. Turn north here (sign towards Hollbruck) and descend to a bivouac hut (close to a little lake). Here you meet the Ochsenboden Route, which you follow backwards in direction of Hollbrucker Spitze. You get to trail 15, which you follow to the north to get to the Zenzerspitze summit block. Cross Over to the Zenzerspitze South Ridge which you follow to the summit.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.